Anyone familiar with DENAGARD ??

In the link I posted it has a chart of common antibiotics for chickens and whether they are effective for gram positive and/or gram negative bacteria. I think there is also a chart showing comparative effectiveness of different abtibiotics. One thing to note is that in 20+ years of use the denagard has not experienced a decline in effectiveness due to resistant strains.

Quote:
Where did you get your Denegard from? How long did it take to arrive? I thought it would be better to treat my flock right away with the only kind of powdered antibiotic the feed store had, called TetroxyHCA-280. It contains Oxytetracycline HCI. I feared their condition would get worse while they waited for an online order to arrive in the mail. Now I wonder if it would have been better to have waited and given them the better antibiotic.

Sonoran, thanks for the link, but I'm still in the dark as to what is the difference between gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria.

In Greece you can buy it in most shops that sell animal food and medicine. In the novartis site, when they describe the medication, it says that the following refer to non-USA residents only. I guess they don't sell it there?

I have read all the links provided on this denagard, from the sounds of it even if your flock isn't infected it is used as a preventative? I am thinking about getting some just to have on hand or to use on my healthy flock so they won't come down with anything in the future. Anyone know the dosage per gallon of water?

Does anyone know if the Denagard for swine can be used for chickens? I would love to get the product pictured & described here http://www.thepoultrysite.com/focus...-the-right-choice-from-novartis-animal-health but cannot find any information about where or how to order it. The only place I've found that has Denagard is QC Supply, but they only have the one for swine shown here http://www.qcsupply.com/540922-denagard-liquid-concentrate.html There are reviews on that page from people who say they've used it for poultry.

Do you think you can use the stuff in the bottle with the picture of the pig on it for poultry? My chickens have been dealing with some upper respiratory thing that has them snuffing & snorking. They've been dosed with Tetracycline which seemed to help for a few weeks, now some are showing those symptoms again. I'm giving them Duramycin now, but want to try the Denagard.

The Denagard you see for swine is the same one you would use for poultry in an off label application. The dosage recommendation that I have received on it is 1ltr per 400 - 1000ltr depending on strength you desire. It doesn't take much. We are currently working with a supplier for it trying to get a better wholesale price. Right now we would have to retail it at $45.59.

Thank you for that info PamperedPullet, I'm going to order some for my birds. How much of that Denagard, measured in teaspoons or tablespoons, should I put in a gallon waterer? For how many days should I give it?

Quote:
I believe it is 1 tablespoon to 1 gal of water for 3 to 5 days. I have heard a few different versions of treatment for poultry. We have not personally used it yet but are seriously considering it.

My bad yes 1 tbsp per gallon to use as a preventative but double that for treatment purposes.

Kelar try adding honey to the water, it worked like a charm for me
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks Chickenaddict - that is a really good idea. I accidentally put some water to drink in a cup that had some denagard residue in it and found out first hand how bad it tastes. Really really bad
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom