Anyone familiar with DENAGARD ??

1 Tablespoon to 1 gallon of water. Add honey!
they are being given 2 dropperfuls with sugar added, we don't have honey, about every half hour, i got chewed out royal by the roo, good sign, the hen is beginning to have her eyes open and head up- hopefully progress will continue!

Last edited:
Denagard treats mycoplasma diseases. There is an initial treatment dose and a monthly preventative dose.
The treatment dose is 16cc's denagard per gallon of water for 3-5 days.
The monthly preventative dose is 8cc's per gallon of water for 3-5 days.
There is no egg withdrawal, 3 days slaughter withdrawal. Do not mix ACV or meds into the mixture. It is bitter, some people add karo syrup to it. It can be added to feed to make a mash for birds to eat. I recommend leaving the mixture out for them to drink being their sole source of water to drink for the 3-5 days.
QC Supply sells Denagard.

A friend who has used it numerous times advised me to give no more than 15cc as a treatment dosage and to give it for 7 days on any that have symptoms and of course the preventive amount of 8cc for the remainder of the flock. Not trying to say your information is incorrect dawg53 because that is the exact same information I originally found as well. Just wanted to let everyone know what worked for me. It was amazing to see how quickly they got better. I mean it's like they were different chickens over night and they looked more healthy than I had seen them before. Even their feathering and skin looks more vibrant. I use it now in the preventive dosage during the winter months and on new flock additions. One thing I'm not sure of though is how young they can be? I have given it to chicks as young as 6 weeks with no negative results but I'm not sure just how young they can be. And as others had stated QC Supply online does have it and it's roughly $45 and the shipping was about $10 but it is well worth it.
This stuff truly does work great or to use my daughters description "Denagard is da bomb"
bow.gif

Used it on my bantam cochin & she's all better. Now trying to figure out how to re-introduce her to my flock of five! She marches up to the backdoor at dusk to roost because I've kept her quarantined for almost 10 days. That stuff really works!

I would love to try this first before I spend the large amount on the whole bottle... I'm in Boise, ID... If someone would be willing to ship me a small amount I would be willing to pay for it... I have a d'uccle that sounds a little congested...

Last edited:
This stuff is great. Got it at Valley Vet Supply online. It was about $50 including shipping for a liter (smallest amount). It will last me (& a couple of friends) fora LONG while. I'm also going to use it as a preventative (8cc per gal) for 5 days out of the month. My cochin bantam has fully recovered.

I'am VERY Familiar with Denegard. I prefer the European site but I just tried looking for it & can't get a hit on it. The Best thing about Denegard according to the European site which is where most of the extensive studies were done is that the bacteria that is involved with MG- CRD CAN NOT BUILD RESISTANCE.. However you may need to increase the dose depending on where you are at in the outbreak. CRD can be put into a dormant stage but IT IS Chronic.
A good way of controlling an outbreak is to do therapeutic doses right before laying starts & AT LEAST 2 Weeks into their Cycle along with 1-2 weeks PRIOR to Molting. You also want to continue into the Molting cycle.
I PERSONALLY WOULDN'T STOP Until they are actually starting to grow feathers back.
You CAN'T Hurt them But You can Cause yourself A Lot of Misery by NOT doing this if you have a CRD Flock.

During Colder weather you will need to make it a bit stronger also due to lack of water Consumption. The MAIN Ing. basically Dries out the CRD Pustules Or In a General Respiratory Infection it Dries out the Bacteria which kills it off. ITS A SALT "LIKE" BASE.& CAN PASS THROUGH THE CELL MEMBRANES OF THE BACTERIA WHICH DRIES IT OUT. YOU CAN KIND OF THINK OF IT LIKE AN ANTIHISTAMINE IN HUMANS FOR A LAYMAN EXPLANATION.
They Actually use to use this Ingredient in Childhood Asthma cases. I'm unsure if its Still used but during my research I read about it so you will feel more comfortable with tasting it(Read Below)

This became important because when mixing it up I like to tap my CLEAN Finger in the Drench to see how palatable it is. It has a Bitter taste when mixed at any dose but when your treating a FULL BLOWN MG- CRD outbreak you will need to be around 2.5 -3 cc per 4C Water. (buy a syringe at feed store without the needle or screw it off). YOU CAN START AT 2CC & THEN SLOWLY ADD 1ML(1 NOTCH) EACH DAY. OBSERVING THEIR INTAKE & BREATHING WILL BE IMPORTANT. I WAS JUST TRYING TO FIND THE SECTION ON THE EUROPEAN SITE FOR SOMEONE I'M ADVISING ABOUT ADDING SWEETENERS SO THEY CAN READ IT FOR THEMSELVES. YOU CAN USE SMALL AMTS. OF SWEET & LOW TO MAKE IT MORE PALATABLE FOR THEM. WHEN I SAY SM. AMTS. START WITH JUST A PINCH. THEN MIX & DO THE FINGER TEST. IF YOU CAN'T TASTE THE SWEET AT ALL THEN ADD A PINCH MORE,STIR & TASTE.
I DO REMEMBER IT WAS VERY SPECIFIC ON THE SWEETENERS YOU CAN USE. DO NOT USE EQUAL!!! I KNOW THERE WERE ONLY "2" ACCEPTABLE SWEETENERS & I KNOW 1 WAS SWEET&LOW WHICH IS WHAT I USED.

For THERAPEUTIC Dose You Will be at 1.5cc for 4 Cups water. DO NOT Use Metal & DO NOT ADD ANY Vitamin Supps. This can alter the Chemistry. THESE DOSES ARE FOR A 5-8LB. CHICKEN. DO NOT GET DENEGARD(TYLOSIN) MIXED UP WITH TYLAN! TYLAN IS CRAP WHEN IT COMES TO RESPIRATORY DISEASES IN CHICKENS. IT ALSO WAS MAINLY USED AS A TREATMENT FOR SWINE. THE REASON WHY IS BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN OVERUSED & MANY BACTERIA HAVE BUILT A RESISTANCE TO IT. THIS IS PASSED DOWN THROUGH THE GENETICS(DNA) OF THE HEN.

I GOT THIS FROM AN AVIAN VET! A LOT OF THIS INFO. I FOUND THROUGH RESEARCH & SOME WAS PER THE VET. TECHNICALLY WHEN I USED IT 2 YRS. AGO IT WAS NOT FDA APPROVED FOR POULTRY. I'M NOT SURE IF THAT HAS CHANGED. THE EUROPEAN SITE I DID HOURS OF RESEARCH ON HAD A WARNING ON THE HOME PAGE "NOT FOR U.S. RESIDENTS" IF YOU DO FIND THE SITE DON'T LET THAT DETOUR YOU. THERE ARE CASE STUDIES,PICS OF WHAT CRD PUSTULES LOOK,ETC. IT WAS A VERY THOROUGH SITE! IF YOUR LOOKING TO RESEARCH I WOULDN'T ADVISE THE U.S SITE BECAUSE IT WILL MORE THAN LIKELY NOT GIVE YOU ANY INFO. ON USING IT FOR POULTRY. TRY USING A UK SITE OR LOOK FOR THE EUROPEAN SITE.
I THINK THEY MUST HAVE YANKED ACCESS TO U.S. CITIZENS. YOU CAN TRY DIFFERENT SEARCH ENGINES BUT I TRIED GOOGLE/BING & HAD NO LUCK. WELL I HOPE THAT HELPS & DON'T PAY TOO MUCH ATTN. TO THE "5 DAY" RULE ON USAGE. AGAIN TRY LOOKING FOR RESEARCH/INFO. THAT ARE NOT U.S. RELATED ON THIS PRODUCT IF YOU ARE TREATING POULTRY.
I'M NOT A VET BUT I HAVE DONE QUITE A BIT OF RESEARCH WHEN REALIZED I WAS ACTUALLY DEALING WITH A FUNGAL SITUATION & NOT CRD!(SEE BELOW). I'AM ALSO A C.M.A.

FYI: I USED IT FOR "3 WEEKS" WITH LA200 & COME TO FIND OUT I WAS ACTUALLY TREATING A BAD FUNGAL SITUATION WHICH CAN BE CONFUSED WITH MG-CRD(MY AVIAN VET INITIALLY BOUNCED BACK/FORTH BETWEEN THE 2 UNTIL I PAID TO HAVE CULTURES DONE). IT DID DO THE TRICK BUT TECHNICALLY ANTIBIOTICS ARE NOT GOOD FOR FUNGAL. IT WAS WORKING BECAUSE OF THE "DRYING OUT" CAPABILITY OF BOTH MEDS.. I WOULD NOT USE IT AGAIN FOR ANY FUNGAL SITUATION ALTHOUGH COME TO FIND OUT MINE WERE GETTING EXPOSED OVER & OVER UNTIL I FINALLY FOUND THE SOURCE.
YOU CAN READ ABOUT THIS ON POULTRYPEDIA.COM IT STATES ITS HARD TO DISTINGUISH MG-CRD FROM RESPIRATORY FUNGAL & MANY TIMES ITS MISTAKEN DUE TO THE SIMILAR SYMPTOMS.

Last edited:
How much sweetener does everyone add? In the past I was adding 1 TBSP of honey per gallon of water, and they were drinking, but today I started them off on another preventative dose, and I saw two different hens come up, drink, then back away and shake their heads as if to say YUCK! WHAT'D YOU PUT IN HERE????
sickbyc.gif
So would 2 TBSP of honey or Karo be enough? I don't want to dump a whole lot of sugar in there. Or I've read about others using orange juice? Just curious what others use.

I just received my bottle in the mail yesterday. My flock is in a fenced 1/3 acre that has areas of low ground and we have had a lot of rain lately. Some of the birds solely drink from the puddles and I can't risk them not drinking the medicated water. I have around 70 birds and most of them have signs of MG. I usually ferment my feed anyways so I just added the Denagard to the feed last night and let it soak it up. Everyone ate the feed today so I am going to continue that route and hopefully it will work just as well.

Back
Top Bottom