Anyone familiar with Mareks disease

Lilydv

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2019
Does this look like a symptom of Mareks disease? What else should I look for?

Attachments

• A9CA44AD-5DD2-4245-B116-637FBD7BD4D4.jpeg
    A9CA44AD-5DD2-4245-B116-637FBD7BD4D4.jpeg
    436.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 889DA463-91D4-4463-8895-FE685F4FC3D5.jpeg
    889DA463-91D4-4463-8895-FE685F4FC3D5.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 15
I have already commented on the OP’s other thread. Maybe @casportpony , @rebrascora, and others who have seen the ocular (eye) form of Mareks in their chickens might comment. To me it looks like blindness from a peckwound or eye infection, or ammonia fumes from droppings in her previous home. The pictures I have seen of Mareks appear like a grey color change in the iris, and the pupil can appear irregular or pinpoint. This may happen gradually, and can affect one or both eyes.

Agree with @Eggcessive. I've had ocular Marek's in my flock. In my birds, the pupil went pinpoint, irregular and the eyes turn a weird green/gray color. There has also been a slight 'bulging' of the eye itself which I suspect is from the tumor involvement behind the eye.

I'd check the pupillary response by going out at night or late evening with a flashlight and shine the light in the bird's eye, move the light and repeat. Watch for the pupil to constrict and or dilate. I have a rooster at the moment who is blind in one eye from a fight injury. Pupil stays dilated. Iris normal color.....sortakinda like your picture.

Good news is that chickens do well with only one eye. They may stay in the coop or shade more due to light sensitivity in the dilated eye but as long as they can find their food water and coop, they do well.

Agree with @Eggcessive. I've had ocular Marek's in my flock. In my birds, the pupil went pinpoint, irregular and the eyes turn a weird green/gray color. There has also been a slight 'bulging' of the eye itself which I suspect is from the tumor involvement behind the eye.

I'd check the pupillary response by going out at night or late evening with a flashlight and shine the light in the bird's eye, move the light and repeat. Watch for the pupil to constrict and or dilate. I have a rooster at the moment who is blind in one eye from a fight injury. Pupil stays dilated. Iris normal color.....sortakinda like your picture.

Good news is that chickens do well with only one eye. They may stay in the coop or shade more due to light sensitivity in the dilated eye but as long as they can find their food water and coop, they do well.
The other pupil in turning grey in the middle and has covered a large portion of the pupil.

Her pupil in her other eye is turning grey, a big portion is already grey. She has terrible vision and I think soon to be fully blind. Any suggestions on how to get her to eat?

I have a pic of Sassy when she was alive and developed OMD.

ohcraptaffy.JPG

You can clearly see the irregular constricted pupil, the start of the gray/green color to the iris and the slight bulging I referred to.

She lived to be 3 like this and finally had to be put down due to the tumors invading her brain and causing seizures and paralysis. She was a great little hen. Which shows that Marek's does not discriminate.

The other pupil in turning grey in the middle and has covered a large portion of the pupil.

Her pupil in her other eye is turning grey, a big portion is already grey. She has terrible vision and I think soon to be fully blind. Any suggestions on how to get her to eat?

I'd like to see a picture of the other eye. It's hard to do anything without seeing both.

As for eating, I'd try to tempt her with some scrambled eggs. If her vision is poor you will have to literally put her beak into them. It's not uncommon for birds to stop eating when they are blind. Not being able to find food/water is the main reason a blind chicken doesn't survive. I've read incidences where a blind bird has made a chicken friend that they will follow around but I think that is very rare.

9D3F3FEB-AE11-48A5-B863-4DC4D7EDB875.jpeg
I'd like to see a picture of the other eye. It's hard to do anything without seeing both.

As for eating, I'd try to tempt her with some scrambled eggs. If her vision is poor you will have to literally put her beak into them. It's not uncommon for birds to stop eating when they are blind. Not being able to find food/water is the main reason a blind chicken doesn't survive. I've read incidences where a blind bird has made a chicken friend that they will follow around but I think that is very rare.

Back
Top Bottom