Anyone familiar with this defect? The 'hole' seems kinda deep... Is it safe to eat?

Snowpony

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 22, 2013
Everett, WA
I currently have two brown egg layers, a maran and a black austrolorp. The maran I've had a few months and she's always laid normal brown eggs. The austrolorp is a newer acquisition, about two weeks, and I have a feeling this egg belongs to her as I've not had any extra brown eggs since getting her (pretty sure this is the first egg she's laid since I've had her)

I've never seen an egg with this defect, the hole looks kinda deep, not sure if it's safe to eat. Anybody know what's going on here?

Thanks or any info!

Interesting. So that is an actual hole, meaning the inside of the egg is open to the outside? It looks like a strangely shaped rough deposit rather than a hole from the photos. sometimes my chickens lay eggs with rough spots that are not as large as that, and they have been safe to eat. But if it is in fact a hole in which bacteria could get into the inside of the egg then I would not eat it.

The "hole" doesn't go all the way through. A "pit" would probably be a better description. I've yet to break it open to see how thin the shell is under the pit. But yes, there is a rough ring-shaped deposit around the pit, almost volcano shaped

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom