Anyone feed Nutrena Loyall?

jeepgirl13

Crowing
Mar 13, 2013
Arizona
Hey yall, I just recently purchased a bag of Nutrena Loyall Active Adult, 26/19. (My pups need high protein. They're Dane mixes and we live in colorado mountains. Anything less and they lose weight cuz of the cold/exercise.) It smells different than it has in the past, almost fishy.

I was wondering if anyone else feeds this food tot heir dogs and if they noticed anything funky about it. Wanted some opinions before I called the feed store to see what they can do. I've lost the reciept for sure though, so not sure what they can do.

I do have one picky eater, who wont always eat, but the other almost never passes up a free meal, and will even eat her sisters food (the picky eater) if she didnt eat it for a couple hours. The both of them not wanting to eat it is definitely odd. I had to put egg in it to get them to eat this morning because they didnt eat last night or in the morning yesterday.

They're not sick either, besides turning their nose up at the food, they're totally healthy pups. They dont get sick after eating either, so I'm wondering if they just dont like the new smell.

So, anyone else have any issues with this food or should i just chalk it up to the temps starting to drop?

If the feed looks or smells funky to you, chances are it is funky. If the dogs won't eat it, that is another red flag. There is probably something wrong with it. I certainly wouldn't try to force them to eat it. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the feed store but I would call the manufacturer. There should be a customer service number on the bag and if there isn't you should be able to find it online. They will want the codes that are on the bag and they will want to know where you bought it.

Here is something you may or may not find useful. If you are having trouble keeping weight on the dogs during the winter, see if you can find some beef kidney fat. Give them a piece about the size of a walnut daily. Kidney fat is firm and easy to handle, plus the dogs like it. It is pure energy. I was able to get the fat at a locker plant where they process beef.

I once had a Komondor I couldn't keep weight on. I was advised to feed her a walnut sized piece of kidney fat each day. That didn't look like enough to me so I gave her a piece about the size of my fist daily. I should have stayed with the walnut. Let's just say she gained weight.

If the feed looks or smells funky to you, chances are it is funky. If the dogs won't eat it, that is another red flag. There is probably something wrong with it. I certainly wouldn't try to force them to eat it. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the feed store but I would call the manufacturer. There should be a customer service number on the bag and if there isn't you should be able to find it online. They will want the codes that are on the bag and they will want to know where you bought it.

Here is something you may or may not find useful. If you are having trouble keeping weight on the dogs during the winter, see if you can find some beef kidney fat. Give them a piece about the size of a walnut daily. Kidney fat is firm and easy to handle, plus the dogs like it. It is pure energy. I was able to get the fat at a locker plant where they process beef.

I once had a Komondor I couldn't keep weight on. I was advised to feed her a walnut sized piece of kidney fat each day. That didn't look like enough to me so I gave her a piece about the size of my fist daily. I should have stayed with the walnut. Let's just say she gained weight.

Thank you for this! I will be calling them when I get home for sure! I've never had an issue with this brand of dog food before and my girls always seemed to love it. This current situation is definitely odd. The food itself doesnt look any different, but it smells odd.

Weve got a couple local butchers. I'll have to call them too and see if they have any of this. They lost a bit of weight last year through the cold, I'd like to prevent this again. Nothing too bad, but I wasnt ok with it. Great Danes just dont have the fur for temps in the teens and single digits, even just going out to pee and come back in.

Good luck. I would be interested in knowing what you find out about the feed.

I used to have a friend who had whippets. They have no fur and no body fat and they can't take the cold. He had coats for his.

If you can't get kidney fat, you can use some other fat like steak trimmings. I liked kidney fat because it is so easy to handle. It is white, firm, and that makes it easy to cut or break off what you need. Dogs like it, too.

Good luck. I would be interested in knowing what you find out about the feed.

I used to have a friend who had whippets. They have no fur and no body fat and they can't take the cold. He had coats for his.

If you can't get kidney fat, you can use some other fat like steak trimmings. I liked kidney fat because it is so easy to handle. It is white, firm, and that makes it easy to cut or break off what you need. Dogs like it, too.

We did have coats to start, but they outgrew them. And here in CO, in the dead of winter, they're like 60 bucks or more for the size my girls need. My old dog, who in lost this past March, hated hers at first, then, after she wore it a couple times, would stand there and stare at me, and refuse to go out till I put it on her. She was an awesome dog:love

I didnt get a chance to call yesterday. It was a long, horrible day at work and the baby wasnt feeling good all day. I'll be getting it done after a couple more cups of coffee and giving them a call. Will let you know what they say:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom