Anyone feed the egg shells their chickens lay back to them?

I actually gave my hens some of their eggshells just this morning. If it works as a calcium supplement and keeps the shells out of the trash, it works for me!

I not onl
Not sure if my question makes sense - I feel it’s wrong to feed the chickens the egg shells of their own eggs they lay or is it ok to give them that extra nutritious dose of calcium?

Even if it comes from their own eggs that they lay. For some reason (morally) feels wrong to give them something that came from them🤭🤗 I guess it’s ok since I’ve given them grocery store egg shells before they started laying as an added snack bonus. Curious to hear what more experienced folk think have on the topic 🤔 💭
I not only give them their own egg shells back, but when we have a surplus of eggs we boil and give them eggs as well. The last thing they eat before hatching is yolk. It's great protien during winter or a pick me up for a sick or injured hen. Better their healthy shells and eggs than store bought!

I not onl

I not only give them their own egg shells back, but when we have a surplus of eggs we boil and give them eggs as well. The last thing they eat before hatching is yolk. It's great protien during winter or a pick me up for a sick or injured hen. Better their healthy shells and eggs than store bought!
Exactly. You know what's been on those shells and where they've been.

My kids have dropped an egg a time or two. Its a free for all! The kids can't move aside fast enough :lol:

Chickens need two kinds of calcium. Oyster shells provide a slow-release form while the old eggshells provide a fast release. Don't overfeed calcium in any form as that can cause kidney disease in chickens.
I'm not overfeeding calcium. The main source is the layer, the eggshells on the side are just in case they need a little extra calcium. They choose when they want it, I'm not forcing extra calcium on them. I don't see the problem in a fast releasing supplement because that isn't the main calcium source.

I always save the shells from my girls' eggs. I rinse them out, let them dry out completely on the counter for a couple of days, then put them in my coffee bean grinder and grind them to a fine powder. Then every day when they get their treat I sprinkle the egg shell powder over the treat (along with a little wheat germ oil and just a touch of blackstrap mollasses ). They love it!

Back
Top Bottom