Anyone feed their chickens epazote (wormseed)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flowerchild59, Jul 12, 2010.

1. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Epazote grows basically all over the world. It is used extensively in mexican and south american cooking and used medicinally as a wormer. It has a rather unusual odor that is odd and wonderful at the same time. I like it in mexican food, quesidillas, tamales and the such.
    Whenever I see it growing wild I pick it and feed it to the girls. I wonderif it has a "deworming" factor if you feed it to hens. Any ideas?
    http://www.ask.com/web?l=dis&qsrc=999&siteid=13749&o=13749&q=epazote&ifr=1

2. cubap

cubap New Egg

May 26, 2015
    Old post, but I thought I'd add my experience.

I have a wild piece of my yard that was ta'en by epazote. I was surprised when a few of my new pullets got into it and seemed happy to consume. They have even taught the old birds to give it a try. After hearing about some toxicity in humans I took a look here, but found only this post.

I now pull up what I find and toss it to them. They almost always start in on it happily, but there is also always some left, so they seem to be self-regulating. Early in the Spring, when there is less green around, they eat more - too much and the strong taste comes through the eggs, so be warned. As for use as a wormer, it is used, but dosage is vague. I have not had any parasite troubles with my hens, but I'll not credit the weed without better evidence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by