Anyone from Louisiana?

luvmychix - I have found that most of the people that say "absolutely no" are the ones that get hooked and have a yard full of animals, like yours....lol

I had some Cortunix Quail for a while. I loved the sounds that they make, but the feed/egg ratio was not working out for me, so I gave them away and got more chickens....lol

I like the heavy breed chickens. Some of the bantams are cute, but when I want an egg, I want an EGG!!! LOL

At this time, I have Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, EEs, Black Sexlinks, mutts and Fawn & White Runner ducks. I love my chickens, but my ducks have more personality than any of my chickens. Oh, I also have 35 mutt chicken eggs in the bator right now. They are due to hatch on Nov. 8th.

I will "never" own Guinea or Turkey. No more Quail, no bantams & no Naked Necks (unless I order a brown eggs special...lol).

Dorothy

Hello. I just joined BYC and I'm in Covington. I've wanted chickens FOREVER but only recently moved to a rural area. I was in old Mandeville before. Is it ever getting crowded in Mandeville! Anyway, I'm really excited about the whole adventure. I didn't realize it was becoming a national movement.

Holly

hi

I live in Lafayette, La. We started what we THOUGHT would be a few head for fresh yard eggs , YEA RIGHT .... We have near 100 in our flock ...

started off with 1 coop and run attached ... NOW , we have 2 coops and 3 runs attached ....

welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Liz, I'm from Tennessee originally. I was in Home Depot the other day and met an elderly gentleman from LaFayette. He had the most charming accent! I could have listened to him forever.

What do you do with all of those eggs? I have visions of myself selling eggs at the farmer's market but I don't know if that's realistic or not. How many eggs do you get from 100 chickens?

Holly

thats why we recently added lights to both our coops . we have 4 roosters and the rest hens . 20 are not old enough to lay yet . they only 3.5 months old . BUT out of the rest we were only getting 4 - 6 eggs a day .
idunno.gif
So , we added light inside coops from 5:00 PM til 8:00 AM and its only been a few days and we are already picking up a dozen a day now .
celebrate.gif

Figured we had to JUMP START them greedy things . I swear they are NOT chickens they are pigs LOL
lau.gif
:lau

Last edited:
DeRidder, La in Beauregard Parish. About 55 miles north
of Lake Charles on Hwy. 171 and Hwy 190.
Down in DeQuincey, they have a chicken and other poultry sale
every Friday night starting at 6:30 P.M. right beside the
Miller Livestock sell barn. A good place to sell or buy some good stock.

Quote:
My DH has 2 booths at the flea market and has been there since 2001 . Since they finally decided to KICK IN GEAR and lay , he has been selling them at the flea market .Last week he sold 9 dozens and brought another 8 dozen yesterday . NOW , we can NOT keep up with the demand . All were sold in less than 30 minutes .

THEY NOT ALL LAYING YET . LOOK OUT when the others are laying .

Hey there, I know this is several years after you posted this, but it came up when I was looking for other people from louisiana :) I live near Hammond! ever go to the chicken swaps around here?

I am up in Minden. I wish we had that more often around here. Saw a poultry swap sign to be held in front of the Tractor Supply in their parking lot (its a huge shopping center area) but I saw the sign the DAY AFTER!!!! Sucked horribly because I am looking to put a bundle of ROCKS of some kind into my flock since they offer more meat. Let me know how much fun they are!!!

Back
Top Bottom