Anyone from Missouri?

Oh My!! Wonder what my DH will say when I tell him we have to get up at 6AM on a Saturday so we can get there first, lol. Gonna be interesting to say the least
hmm.png

Quote:
I get my farm stuff at Orscheln or the Charlie's in Wentzville by Best Buy BUT....I get my feed at A+ Nutrition on the corner of N and Z off I70 between Wentzville and New Melle. There are a few reasons for this...

1. Lisa can get me 20% protein layer feed and she was the first one I asked who could. It stopped my girls from pulling each others' feathers out and eating them. It's only like $11 for $50 and not a bad deal at all.

2. She can also get me 50# bags of DE when nobody else around her could do that, either.

3. She has honker bags of bedding for a really reasonable price.

4. Her alfalfa hay isn't bad, either.

If you decide to check her out, please tell her Trisha Freitag sent you. She has a referral program.

Thanks!
Trisha in MO
jumpy.gif

Did anyone get to Sedalia early for the swap before the show today? I wasn't able to get over there early, we went after lunch just to see all the birds. A few birds still for sale in the backs of two trucks outside and a few unsold in cages inside but none I couldn't live without. Just wondered if any of you got there early if you'd share what you thought. Maybe I can go early next year. But, besides the swap, what a neat show! Many look a lot different than I expected after just seeing them in books.

FYI on an upcoming swap:
Small animal swap at Jacobscave

According to the person I heard about it from, it is way fun whether you are selling, buying or just looking. They have booths set up selling poultry (of every kind imaginable), cats, dogs, antiques, goats and flea market type stuff. You can camp there evidently, too.
This year it is May 29, 30, 31, June 1. Jacobscave is about half way between Versailles and Gravois Mills on TT off of Hwy. 5.

Quote:
I got there around 9 and there really wasn't much of a swap, maybe one more truck. Talked to others who were there even earlier and said the same thing. The weather didn't pan out so well, was overcast and chilly most of the day!! I took my little boy (he was the one with the toy bird trying to get it judged if anyone saw it) and we had a great time, stayed till the end and came home with a female Brown Chinese Goose.

Looking forward to the Marshall swap on May 4th, plan on bringing a few birds up to that one.

Dan

Last edited:
nicks,chicks :

did u all have good time though?
big_smile.png

Yes it was neat! I drove 1 hour to see it with my 3 1/2 year old daughter (who is my official chicken helper) and it was pretty neat. Imagine a giant room filled with cages containing more kinds of chickens than you could ever dream up, and LOTS of crowing. There were also some guineas, geese, lots of ducks, quite few turkeys. We spent a lot of time watching turkeys-- might have to expand to include a few in a couple years. There'll be another show in the same spot at the State Fair in Aug. If you like chickens, it is just really fun to walk around and see all those kinds you only saw in catalogs and some you've never heard of.

What r the details on the Marshhall swap?​

Quote:
I'll also stick this over in the swap topics as well, from the Heartland News -

Sunday, May 4 - Marshall Bird Swap, 6 AM - ???, Saline County Fairgrounds off of Hwy 65, Marshall, MO. Sellers $5.00, General Admission $1.00. For more info, contact Charles Swigert @ 660-886-5228 after 4:15.

The fairgrounds are located south of Marshall proper, if coming from the south - perhaps a 1/2 mile after the 65 & Bus 65 split; from the north, approx 1 mile south of the business district on 65 (wal-mart and fast food); the fairgrounds are on the east side of the road and there has always been a huge sign. Pretty decent swap, bird to junk ratio is MUCH better than Versailles.

Dan

I've never been to a swap before. How likeky is it I could unload my 9 extra cockerels? I'd really rather sell them or give them away than butcher them myself--they are Dominiques so they're going to be big boys. I don't mind selling them for a buck each even just to pay the seller fee, I just don't want to drag them down there and back too. I definately want to attend one way or another, I would love to buy a few Easter Egger pullets.

Quote:
Tough to say how well they will sell, it really is a crapshoot when you take birds - sometimes you do really well and sometimes you end up lugging everyone back home!! It is fun either way though.

As far as Easter Eggers, I'll be bringing a few young birds (approx 16 weeks by the time of the swap) whose sire is a black marans and dam is an Easter Egger. Might be an interesting egg color with those two!! I can grab some pics if you want to check them out before hand.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom