Anyone from Missouri?

Hi I'm new here.
I live in the center of the state in a little town called Licking.
I have a small hobby farm with 50 rabbits mostly meat rabbits, 3 goats, 26 chickens just bought 6 EE tonite at a sale, and 3 cats one mouser in the barn and two in the house. I plan on getting some goats and a mini donkey. thats my little farm.

chickenlittle27 Your place sounds a lot like mine. Chickens, goats, mules, rabbits, turkeys. They are all fun to have around. Gettin ready to have rabbit soon. Got any ideas on the best way to cook it?

The way we cook our rabbit is quarter it up and fry it just like a wild rabbit. The best size to get for frying is between 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 pounds that is the best eating anything over that is a little tuff and not as tender.

It's so fun seeing all these folks come on this thread! I am a sort of a converted suburbanite-- I used to visit my grandparents' hobby farm and always wanted my own country place, and finally just got it (by buying part of my grandparents' place!), but all my friends live in the subdivisions with dogs and cats. So it is wonderful to have contact with all of you that lead the lifestyle I love-- my friends are SO tired of hearing my chicken stories!

I have tried everything I can think of to find someone to take my extra cockerels (8 of them) but no takers, so I guess I am about to have another new experience: butchering chickens and eating my own home raised meat. They sure are little at 6 weeks, but they're starting to spar, so, it's got to be done. I'm getting ready to head over to the meat birds thread to research butchering. My husband said he would kill them for me, thats the part that I don't think I can do. Wish me luck!

Edited to add:
I am going to wait as long as possible to butcher b/c there is hardy any meat on them now, but I don't know how long them all living together before the fighting gets too intense-- so if any of you are interested, they are still available for free!!

Last edited:
When I got my chicks I was told all pullets no roos, unfortunately I think I may have one
sad.png

I really don't want a rooster at this time as I'm new to chickens. He's a Bantam. Can they breed to standards or no?

Hi !
I'm from SW Missouri, Buffalo is our address but we're closer to Halfway. We have a "bunch" of guineas that are free roaming and they're the biggest pets. They come up on the back porch in the mornings to peck at the glass and wait for me to throw out some whole corn. A couple of the white one's like to eat from my hand. We have white, buff, lavender, purple and the original pearls. When I drive in, the guineas come running and flying from all over the pasture to greet me and look for handouts. They also come running from all over when I step outside and hollar "KIDS!". They are collectively called the kids except for my one oldest guinea, "Chick", he's been here for several years.

We also have 9 hens of all sorts (will be getting more this summer) and a couple of roosters. My older rooster is Jim Dandy, he's a barred rock and he's the rooster on my avatar. The hens vary from larger heavy hens to bantam. I'm not sure the breeds but I think a few are pure breds and some are mixed. One is an Araucana for sure but the others I'm not familiar with. Diamond is my pet. She's a game hen and small but I'm not sure if she's a bantam. She follows me around when I let them out and prefers to be handfed. She's even learned to jump up on the roost and I tell her to step up and she hops over to my forearm like my parrot does. She loves to be petted and will follow me into the feed room and where ever I go. The others come when called but she's a true pet and even looks up and comes to her name.

We have 40 acres and in addition to the poultry, we have mules, a mammoth jack, MFT mares and ponies as well as llama's, an African Grey parrot, a manx cat, a boxer and a stock dog. The dogs are the guardians of the farm and protect the chickens and guineas. They let them all eat from their own dishes and will lay in the middle of the chickens while they peck all around them without twitching a whisker at them. If any possums or raccoons dare come near the chickens, they are promptly killed by the dogs.

I am new here and I live in Pennsylvania.

I live on a 25 arce farm and I have 6 ducks and 4 chickens. I am known in my area for rescuing ducks and chickens that have been abandoned after easter. I have rescued 7 birds now and it feels good to know that I am being of help to someone.

Back
Top Bottom