Anyone get Buckeye chicks from Meyer before?

donnavee

Crowing
13 Years
May 7, 2009
Hillsborough NC
I plan on ordering some chicks from Meyer next week and I've always wanted a couple of Buckeyes. Has anyone ordered them from Meyer - if so, were you satisfied with them? I realize they would be hatchery quality that's OK since I don't plan on breeding or showing them.

We got our Buckeyes from Meyer last June. We have 5 hens, and 1 rooster. I am very happy with them, quality wise, but if you want them early spring, you had better get your order in. I waited until the end of March, and couldn't get them until June 28th, because of the popularity of the breed these days. They were worth the wait, though.

Here's our roo, who is even nicer looking now
33190_get-attachmentaspx.jpg

We got our Buckeyes from Meyer last June. We have 5 hens, and 1 rooster. I am very happy with them, quality wise, but if you want them early spring, you had better get your order in. I waited until the end of March, and couldn't get them until June 28th, because of the popularity of the breed these days. They were worth the wait, though.

I was thinking of ordering tomorrow. One question though - on the Buckeye thread - they say Buckeyes need more protein than other chickens. Do you have other chickens? If so, do you feed everyone the same food or something special for the Buckeyes? That is the only thing making me hesitate.

Beautiful pictures - they look very pretty to me. How is their temperament? I've heard they are very nice birds.​

Quote:
I was thinking of ordering tomorrow. One question though - on the Buckeye thread - they say Buckeyes need more protein than other chickens. Do you have other chickens? If so, do you feed everyone the same food or something special for the Buckeyes? That is the only thing making me hesitate.

Beautiful pictures - they look very pretty to me. How is their temperament? I've heard they are very nice birds.

No special dietary needs for our birds. We have bantams, and ee's as well, and they all get Layena, as well as scratch grains, other scraps and treats, and anything they find in the yard when they free range. When the Buckeyes were hatched, our other birds were eating Flock Raiser, so they were started on it, and fed FR until 18 weeks old. Temperament wise, they are pretty easy going. They don't want to be fussed with a lot, but aren't skittish either. They like eating treats from your hand, but don't care to be picked up much. They get along fine with all of the other birds. They are great foragers, and tend to be the last ones in when it's time to close the coop. I can usually bribe them with a scoop of scratch grains to hurry them up, though!

Yes, buckeyes do require alot of protein. I currently have chicks and eggs for sale now if your interested. email me. My website is currently not finished but will be shortly.

Farmington made a comment that tells me that Meyer has crossed something into their Buckeye ...They don't want to be fussed with a lot, but aren't skittish either. Buckeye's are so loving they need steel toed shoes because you will tread on their toes every time you get near them...they love attention they will jump into your arms to cuddle and are very mellow birds.Another one of those hatchery casualties they take a breed change it then make people think that's what they are like when the true breed isn't like that at all.Also breeder Buckeye are much darker than the roo in the picture-like heritage RIR vs Hatchery RIR both are red but one isn't right.
You don't HAVE to feed a Buckeye extra protein but you won't get it to it's fullest potential...of coarse with hatchery stock they probably are not the same size as breeder birds-meat vs eggs dual purpose meat birds from a hatchery are not meaty they are making them more egg producing

I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone. I haven't completely made up my mind, but am thinking maybe I should wait on the Buckeyes and only order them when I do. That way, I could satisfy their dietary requirements and not have to worry that I might be beefing up the other chicks too much. If this response sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about - it's true. I'm fairly new to chickens and there is definitely a learning curve. Thank goodness for this forum - it is a real lifesaver for folks like me.

Well, apparently my birds are garbage since they don't throw themselves at me every time I go out to the coop, and jump into my arms. I don't care, I enjoy them. I think they're pretty birds, they are as "friendly" as I need them to be, and that's all that matters. I wasn't expecting "show quality" birds, and I don't think the o/p was either.

Back
Top Bottom