Anyone get white leghorns from MPC?

gootziecat

Crowing
16 Years
Nov 27, 2007
Dover TN
I have been intrigued for some time with MPCs description of their white Leghorns. Most of us hear they are flightly and hard to tame. Yet MPC puts this in their description of the ones they sell:
"Whites are said to be nervous, but ours have been the sweetest, most tame of all our chickens!" Has anyone bought them from MPC and if so, what has been your experience? Thanks.

Well, I just received some yesterday from MPC along with a few brown leghorns. They are very active at this point but I've seen no aggression. We will have to wait and see. I bought the large fowl pullet special and was excited them because I really like leghorns. I have several older girls that I picked up at my local feed store who were the first to lay and haven't missed a day since.
smile.png

I have three leghorns from MPC and they are my friendliest chickens and my best layers. However, I got them last year and spoiled them rotten since they were my first chickens - YMMV!

I didn't get my white leghorns from MPC. I got them from McMurray and they came in a variety bundle. I have 4 of them and they are by far my friendliest quietest nicest chickens. And the best layers too. I love them. I was surprised by this since i had heard those things about leghorns too.

N&M Schroeder, you'll have to keep us posted. from time to time. I'm truly interested in how they turn out disposition and pesonality wise. They certainly are beautiful.

Anyone else??

I had some white leghorns from MPC, they were nice looking birds, and healthy, but were quite flighty. They weren't aggressive or anything, just nervous.

I got 10 WLH in April. one turned out to be an americana so i really have only 9. They were so horrible to one another pecking the tail feather off of one another. one only had a bloody stub left for a tail. I can not express in words how horrified i was at these girls. for the last 1.5 months they have so gotten better with each other. never any problems and no they are not flighty at all. I let them free range when i am outside watching them and when i go to put them back in they all go back. when i go to gather up their eggs (plentiful) some of them jump up on thehouse for me to pet them. they do not bite me when i get their eggs. I cant believe i was actually going to get rid of them a few months ago. for just 50 bucks.SO SO glad i decided to keep them. They do not eat as much as my barred rocks, but produce larger eggs and more of them by very far. I bought them at our local feed store who got them from a hatchery in iowa

one problem.... they like to dig below they hay into the dirt and they get so dirty i have to bath them. This digging has only occured since i started allowing them to free range once in a while.

I have 10 silver leghorns from McMurray and they are friendly. A little more watchful than my other chickens but still friendly. A few of them will hop up on our laps and eat out of our hands.

Leghorns being friendly as you all have described blows me away, from what I've been led to believe about them. I'd love to hear more.

Back
Top Bottom