1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone getting eggs yet?

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by farmchick897, Nov 17, 2014.

1. smokeyjoe

smokeyjoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2013
    mine do unless she doesn't like them disappearing , then she will start a new spot but they all are different I have 4 girls ,I have one that likes to lay in the shelter and the others have a spot they like but normally they keep the same spot on my farm .however when my emu start laying there is a space from the first and the second or third sometimes it is up to 3 weeks depending on the weather. good luck

2. dodo84

dodo84 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2013
    Green Co Wisconsin
    Egg #5 680g, still waiting for my second pair to start, they are both two years old three in April. At what age have most of your emus begun to lay?

3. smokeyjoe

Mar 29, 2013
    mine started 2 years old but I had one to start at the age of 1 year , but most started when they turn 2

4. Emu559

Emu559 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2014
    Madera County, CA
    Second egg was laid yesterday. 522g. Still not as large as some of yours. Hoping they get larger. Has anybody had smaller eggs hatch?[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  5. smokeyjoe

Mar 29, 2013
    got 2 more eggs today that makes 13 eggs since November, I got to watch Elmo lay another one today , I am still just amazed every time I watch her , she is so careful and puts her body in an upright position while gently placing the egg on the ground . so graceful I just never get tired of watching. she seamed to be straining more this time so I was worried and decided to go over and see if she was OK , when I got over there she placed it on the ground and looked at me as if to say see what I did for you .[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Calla

Calla Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    England UK
    Rosie's 1st egg 590 gr. it's a boy lol and Jasmine Nr 6 egg 772 gr. a girl of course lol....also this morning...
    Calla

1 person likes this.
  7. smokeyjoe

Mar 29, 2013
    great job how do you know the sex in the egg ? I would love to know

8. ReneePrice

ReneePrice Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2014
    Lucedale, MS
    My Coop
    I'm searching for an emu egg to incubate.

1 person likes this.
  9. smokeyjoe

Mar 29, 2013
    I see you are in Lucedal MS ,wish you were closer I would be able to give you some , however you might check craigslist and see if you can find some ,they will ship them to you ,good luck they are awesome big birds I have 7

10. ReneePrice

ReneePrice Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2014
    Lucedale, MS
    My Coop

Thanks Hun. I'll sure look there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by