Anyone going to have eggs hatch in novemeber?

Cool, I'll go get a 25 watt bulb. The temperature of the room the box is in ranges from about 70 - 80 degrees at the moment, and the humidity of the room is between 50 and 65%. I had another temperature spike today, got home and the temp was at 108 degrees! Was a hot day outside too... I almost cried, but candled tonight and the little troopers are moving around in there so they're definitely not dead...

I'm worried... I candled all of them again last night, this time with a notebook so I could record what I saw. There were only a handful that I saw definite movement... Prim was once again in the wrong nest, and her egg #4 was cold... Butterscotch had taken over all of her other eggs so they were warm when I got in there, but I don't know how long she was off of them, or if Butterscotch stole them right out from under her. Prim's eggs are at day 11 for 5 of them and 10 for one of them. None of them are "empty" but I only saw real solid movement in 1. 3 of them (including #4), I saw nothing, and two of them, I thought maybe there was movement, but I wasn't sure that it wasn't my eyes playing tricks on me from staring at glowing eggs in the dark...

Butterscotch's eggs are only at day 9 and 7. There is develpoment in all of them, but only saw movement in 2... This is my first time, so I really don't know exactly what I am looking for determining if they have quit...

Would it be traumatic for the hens if I moved them out of the coop into my heated kennel building and gave them nests in separate brooder boxes at this point?? It is regularly below freezing at night, although the water in the coop isn't freezing. I'm even considering taking the eggs from them and putting them into an incubator... I'm going to be really sad if I lose all of these eggs... When I started this whole thing, I thought, "What do I have to lose by letting them sit on a few eggs??" Apparently, the answer to that question is... My mind!!
Providing that these hens are truly broody, you will need to set up a nesting box in the separated kenneled area for sure! this way they don't get confused... plus it'll allow you to keep track of them better... wait until its night out and sneak the eggs into the new nest(it helps to use a heat lamp to warm up the nest prior to putting eggs in) then turn off lights and move hen onto eggs... by morning they will adopt their new area and be completely content! Make sure the nesting box is dark and draft free... mama should only get off the nest 1-2 times a day to eat/drink/poo so make sure she has an area to do these things... I always feel bad for my broody (like she's going to be bored/lonely) but once you see the chicks hatch out and how much she enjoys being a mama and telling the chicks what to do you realized it's all for the best! I have done the broody hen thing several times and LOVE it way more then having day-old chicks to care for by myself!!

Good LUCK!! feel free to respond with any questions :)

Cool, I'll go get a 25 watt bulb. The temperature of the room the box is in ranges from about 70 - 80 degrees at the moment, and the humidity of the room is between 50 and 65%. I had another temperature spike today, got home and the temp was at 108 degrees! Was a hot day outside too... I almost cried, but candled tonight and the little troopers are moving around in there so they're definitely not dead...
Yeah a smaller wattage bulb will help you. it's better for the temperature to be to low then to get to high like that. it also takes a while for the temperature of the actual egg to go up. I think that is what is keeping your eggs from getting fried. you must be catching it before the eggs temperature rises.
However with your temperature spikes don't be surprised if what mostly makes it to hatch is roosters. They tend to survive temperature spikes better then pullets.

Providing that these hens are truly broody, you will need to set up a nesting box in the separated kenneled area for sure! this way they don't get confused... plus it'll allow you to keep track of them better... wait until its night out and sneak the eggs into the new nest(it helps to use a heat lamp to warm up the nest prior to putting eggs in) then turn off lights and move hen onto eggs... by morning they will adopt their new area and be completely content! Make sure the nesting box is dark and draft free... mama should only get off the nest 1-2 times a day to eat/drink/poo so make sure she has an area to do these things... I always feel bad for my broody (like she's going to be bored/lonely) but once you see the chicks hatch out and how much she enjoys being a mama and telling the chicks what to do you realized it's all for the best! I have done the broody hen thing several times and LOVE it way more then having day-old chicks to care for by myself!!

Good LUCK!! feel free to respond with any questions :)
Thanks... I think I will move them. They are definitely broody. The only time I find her off of her nest is if she's sitting on another nest of eggs that I haven't had time to collect yet. I'll try to set up the brooder boxes tonight or tomorrow and get them out of the coop... I hope I'm not too late!

Thanks... I think I will move them. They are definitely broody. The only time I find her off of her nest is if she's sitting on another nest of eggs that I haven't had time to collect yet. I'll try to set up the brooder boxes tonight or tomorrow and get them out of the coop... I hope I'm not too late!

they will stay broody for awhile so even if you want to salvage the eggs you see life in into the incubator and place fresh fertilized eggs under them in the new area you could... they wont get distracted by other eggs and will have a much better hatch rate!

Well, I have two BCMs out of their shells and third one is rocking; four banty crosses already fluffed and in the brooder. Nothing from the EEs. Of course they had a rough trip from the PO and also have very porous shells.

So I couldn't resist taking another look at the eggs tonight... I am happy to report that I have movement in all 12 eggs!!!! Even Prim's #4 that I thought might have frozen yesterday... There was really strong movement in there! I'm so excited!!!! I may still move them to the kennel building this weekend.

If I wanted to order some EE eggs to hatch out (I think I just might be addicted), how would I go about finding someone who has them?? I know there is some sort of egg exchange on here, but I'm not sure how it works.

So I couldn't resist taking another look at the eggs tonight... I am happy to report that I have movement in all 12 eggs!!!! Even Prim's #4 that I thought might have frozen yesterday... There was really strong movement in there! I'm so excited!!!! I may still move them to the kennel building this weekend.
If I wanted to order some EE eggs to hatch out (I think I just might be addicted), how would I go about finding someone who has them?? I know there is some sort of egg exchange on here, but I'm not sure how it works.

Congrats!
You could look at the Buy/Sell/Trade threads. i don't know really how the egg exchange works. You could also look on Where am I? Where are you? for your state thread and ask if anyone closer to you has some. Call your local 4H or FFA leader and see if they know of any breeders around; remember too lots of people will say they have Ameraucauna or Americana when they really have EE.

So I had an egg hatch!!! but unfortunately it was not what I expected! I had a hen go broody a few weeks ago and I thought I took all her eggs & replaced them with some of my game bird eggs....... unfortunately I missed one of her eggs and it hatched!!! She then abandoned the nest to take her baby on a stroll around the property. My good eggs were stone cold, but I rescued them and popped them into the incubator.

Just candled them and thankfully they are still alive! Due to hatch in 4 days...... so now they are in my incubator with my 30 or so other eggs that are due to hatch on the 28th.

Deciding whether to put the eggs that are due in 4 days under a first time broody who started to sit yesterday... or try (somehow) and manage a staggered hatch! I'm about to go on a long car trip so it will give me plenty of time to think about it all!

can I join ..
big_smile.png
I had set eggs today 17th
18 eggs aseel and mix

Back
Top Bottom