Anyone good at math? Dosing 'Tetroxy HCA 280' from avian vet

BWchicken

Songster
12 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Texas
So I took my very sick 12 year old rooster to the avian vet today. They were not very thorough, but they said upper respiratory infection and gave me a bag of Tetroxy HCA 280. The bag says it is "280g (9.87oz)"

The vet tech and the rx label both say "Mix the entire bag with 5 gallons of water and use it as the only source of drinking water for 10 days"
I measured the entire bag with a measuring cup and there is 1 1/4 cup of powder.
This is for one bantam rooster, I need to break it down.

So I did the math (not my strong suit) for 1 1/4 cup of powder per 5 gals water.
I came up with 4 TBSP per gallon (1 TBSP per quart)
Is that right? Because I got to looking at the mfg instructions and it seems like the vet dosage is way higher than what's printed on the bag? But like I said, math isn't my strong suit so hoping someone can help.

Also, the vet tech said the 5 gallons would stay good for 10 days after mixing. I asked twice. I'm skeptical on that, wouldn't it go rancid?

Last edited:
I've not used this before, but found the url for its use and mixing instructions here:
https://www.drugs.com/vet/tetroxy-hca-280.html

Note, it says to mix it fresh daily. If your bantam is by himself, you'd maybe mix a pint or so? but here's what you do to calculate:

Suppose you use a pint a day. there are 8 pints in a gallon, and the pouch you got makes 5 gallons, so you have enough medicine in the pouch for 40 pints.

So if the pouch contents weigh 280g, you use 1/40 of the 280g pouch (use 7 grams per day in a pint of water) and that'll be the bantam's sole water source.

More math: If you want to play it safe and give him a quart of water, use 14 grams of medicine.

Each day throw away yesterday's medicated drinking water and make him a fresh batch.

**you need to weigh the medicine from the pouch. If you don't have a scale to do this, you should take the bag back to the vet and have them weigh it out into suitable amounts for you.

Good luck!

**EDITED TO ADD***
I I couldn't wait till morning, the 1 1/4 cup = 10 oz or 20 tablespoons. so, a pint of water would take 1/2 a table spoon, or 1 and 1/2 teaspoon, assuming the powder doesn't settle .

Last edited:
So I took my very sick 12 year old rooster to the avian vet today. They were not very thorough, but they said upper respiratory infection and gave me a bag of Tetroxy HCA 280. The bag says it is "280g (9.87oz)"

The vet tech and the rx label both say "Mix the entire bag with 5 gallons of water and use it as the only source of drinking water for 10 days"
I measured the entire bag with a measuring cup and there is 1 1/4 cup of powder.
This is for one bantam rooster, I need to break it down.

So I did the math (not my strong suit) for 1 1/4 cup of powder per 5 gals water.
I came up with 4 TBSP per gallon (1 TBSP per quart)
Is that right? Because I got to looking at the mfg instructions and it seems like the vet dosage is way higher than what's printed on the bag? But like I said, math isn't my strong suit so hoping someone can help.

Also, the vet tech said the 5 gallons would stay good for 10 days after mixing. I asked twice. I'm skeptical on that, wouldn't it go rancid?
Here you go
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/oxytetracyline-and-tetracycline-powder-doses.1022878/

Thanks! I wonder why the vet's instructions are so different from the package instructions.
Ugh I don't know which one to go by.

So would this math be right IF I used the vet's dosage (1 whole bag to 5 gallons)?

There's 1 1/4 cup powder in the whole bag - to be added to 5 gallons water
1 /1/4 cup is same as 5/4 cup
Divide 5/4 by 5 (gallons) to get one gallon dose
So 5/4 cup divided by 5 = 1/4 cup per gallon
1/4 cup is 4 TBSP
So 4 TBSP per gallon
There's 4 quarts in a gallon so 1 TBSP per quart

Sorry if that's confusing, I don't love math lol

EDITED: I just saw your edit springvalley123, thank you! You figured it down to 1/2 TBSP per pint. There's 2 pints in a quart so my calculation of 1TBSP per quart is correct, surprisingly lol. Thank you so much!

Now if I could just figure out why the vet's dosage is so much different than the package dosage. And which one to use.

EDITED AGAIN: Wow. Going by the dosing on the link Wyorp Rock posted (thank you!), the vet's dosage comes to 13,320mg. Highest dose listed on the package is 800mg. WTH?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom