Anyone had a chicken get stuck on its back??

Can normal chickens get up if on their back postion??

I think so. You could go lay a hen on her back and see :lol:

I read a thread a while ago, where someone lost a rooster that had gotten stuck on his back and couldn't get up-- apparently it's common with some really wide birds (show-quality Cornish). I wouldn't expect your rooster to have the same body build, so I don't know why yours is doing it.

Here's a link to the post that was talking about it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...r-meat-and-more.1069243/page-11#post-18200432

My chickens are always fine to get up if they are on their backs. I had to put one on her back once to take some photos for BYC. She sat there for a few minutes, playing dead as it is a reflex, but she got up just fine :)
Hmm.. My roo kicks his legs for a few min attempting to get up, but can't. Not sure how long he is on his back for. I wait for another min for him to get up but he doesn't, a little nudge/ lift from me on his side and he's back on his feet. I don't pick him up, so he is doing most of the job himself.

That is what I am wondering. If he is getting on his back, then panicking and going into chicken hypnosis or playing dead. Next time, watch him and see if he gets up or come out of hypnosis in a few minutes. That would make he most sense.
he always comes up for treats if I come in or sees what's happening but if he's on his back he'll try kicking his legs attempting to get up but then just stays there on his back.

he always comes up for treats if I come in or sees what's happening but if he's on his back he'll try kicking his legs attempting to get up but then just stays there on his back.
Hmm, that is so odd. Maybe I can design a chicken saddle with roll bars for you! Lol! I don't know if it would work or not! Lol!

0520D52B-7E35-4FCD-9FE1-73446243AC1A.png

That is what I am wondering. If he is getting on his back, then panicking and going into chicken hypnosis or playing dead. Next time, watch him and see if he gets up or come out of hypnosis in a few minutes. That would make he most sense.
How do you snap a chicken out of hypnosis? If he goes into that state on his back then do I clap and he should jump or or something?

Back
Top Bottom