Anyone had this before

Discussion in 'Geese' started by abbyf, Jun 12, 2017.

  1. abbyf

    abbyf Out Of The Brooder

    48
    7
    44
    Jun 30, 2015
    Our Sebbie girl, went to the vet last week after she went off her food and was diagnosed with protozoan parasites. So onto Metronidazole she went and told to call if she still wasn't eating and they would do x rays and blood tests. Called told to wait til she finished her medication. So it has now been a week we have been syringe feeding her and managed to get an appointment off hubby goes whilst I stayed with the gander and X ray shows what is probably rocks obstructing her proventriculus. Blood tests are being run.
    So my question is if obstruction (highly likely) we have been told that there is 2 options surgery or euthanize, has anyone dealt with this before?:(:hit
    Thanks
     
  2. Benevolent Barn

    Benevolent Barn Out Of The Brooder

    60
    17
    35
    Apr 22, 2017
    I am so sorry, that is terrible. What are you going to do?
     
  3. The goose girl

    The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

    789
    78
    171
    Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    So sorry, this must be awful for you.

    My late goose, Keld, went off her feed and lost weight. It turned out she had a large shellless egg stuck way up in her oviduct which caused an infection. The surgery was successful as were the antibiotics, and we tube fed her for 10 days until she started eating again. Unfortunately, the infection returned a few days later, and although she was put on antibiotics and tube feeding again, she died from organ failure after three weeks.

    In retrospect, I wish we hadn't put her through those last three weeks. The vet said birds are masters at hiding their symptoms. She was weak, but we kept hoping for and seeing what we interpreted as clear signs of recovery. Those signs were probably just Keld trying to look healthy - her instincts telling her not to look like prey.

    Keld was a big fat goose, in her heyday weighing almost 20 pounds. When she had surgery, she was down to 13 pounds, and just before she died, she weighed only 10 pounds.

    Our vet knew we didn't have a lot of money and heavily slashed the bill, so we ended up paying only about $1600 for everything including about 30(!) visits to the vet, some of them on weekends. If she hadn't been so nice to us, we'd've paid at least two or three times that amount.

    If your goose isn't already very weak and you have the money, it could be a good idea to consider surgery. I can't tell you what to choose. I hope you make the decision you feel better (or less worse) about.
     
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  4. abbyf

    abbyf Out Of The Brooder

    48
    7
    44
    Jun 30, 2015
    I am sorry to hear that Goose girl how heart breaking.
    I have the option to take her to Indy where there is a board certified avian vet, not very happy with the one we used but that's another story. Just been called by the vets office to say the lab fudged the blood test so she now has to go back down tomorrow for more blood to be drawn. The blood test is to check if she has a bacterial infection. Bless her she has been out and about more than I have the last two weeks I have to stay with Mr Cranky gander and the Africans LOL.....
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by