Anyone hatching Serama eggs?

Silkie Nut

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 15, 2012
Central Florida
I'm so excited! I just got my first hatching eggs! They are Seramas and I have a total of 15 eggs. Just wondering if anyone else is, or has, hatched Serama eggs! The eggs I'm hatching include Frizzled Seramas, Booted Seramas, and Silkied Seramas. Would love to hear your stories on your Serama hatching eggs and how they turned out. So far, it looks as if two didn't make it but the rest are fine. Im very happy with my incubator. It is staying stable with the temperature and humidity. Would love to hear any advice or tips to have a succesful hatch rate. Post pictures of your baby Seramas, or full grown Seramas! Fingers crossed for a succesful hatch
fl.gif
Thanks! Wish me luck! They should start hatching around the 13th of March!

sincerley , Silkie Nut

I've done 3 rounds of hatching seramas this winter and it's been pretty rough with shipped eggs--I only hatched out 2 from a total of 2 dozen eggs (most never developed at all) and one of them died a week later. I've been at about 90% on my own eggs. One thing I've learned is that my seramas tend to pip early on day 18 or 19, then take at least 18 hours before they start zipping. A lot of people want to help their seramas out when they have to wait that long for any more movement, but my suggestion is to let them do their thing. Honestly, if they're not going to make it, I'd rather have it happen in the shell than in the brooder after I've gotten attached. Just keep that in mind.

Here's my first silkied serama at 3 weeks:

And here's a cute picture of a couple I hatched in January:

:) Hope you get a great hatch! Feel free to PM me if you ever have any questions. I'm not an expert but I've done a TON of research and have experienced quite a bit in my incubation cycles this winter.

I have been trying to hatch Seramas since October with a total of five chicks hatched out of dozens of eggs ordered through the mail. The first four before it became cold and my one single survivor is one of from my adult Seramas. I find they die while trying to hatch. I know you are not supposed to help them but if I hear robust sqeaking, I will very carefully part of the shell and then keep them in an extremely humid environment so they don't dry up and get stuck. Leave them alone? I read that and followed that advice when I hatched my first four and had six die in the shell. I would rather fight with them. I do have a bowl of warm water and place keep dipping the hatching chick in the warm water to make sure that the fluid doesn't dry up and slow them down. That's how I hatched my last one.

The humidity in my incubator is very high - as high as possible. I live in Northern Illinois and my chickens live inside my laundry room. I wonder sometimes if they get a cold draft. My incubator is a Repti-Pro and very air tight so they don't get drafts. My first incubator was a styrafoam one and I lost every single batch of eggs. When I buy eggs on the internet and I see they are porous, I will only keep them one week and if not blood vessels are forming throw them out. I find they need a lot of special calcium and extra vitamins in their diet to have nice hard shells.

Here is a pic of my lone survivor. I put a stuffed chicken in baby pen while I slowly lower the temp as his feathers grow and I also put a cage of two adolescents in visual range so that he learns chicken behavior.

I am hatching Serama eggs year round. We got our 1st 2 parir from Jerrys Seramas> They were a B and D pair and we have continued to buy eggs from breeders of smaller Seramas and now have Micro A, A's , B's, C's and the one pair of D's. Seramas are the friendly birds and the love people and they are so small. We put Sulmed in the water for the 1st 3 days after hatching, but they all carry a 1-2% fatal gene, and can die for no reason. So far hatch rates are 90-100 on our own eggs and about 75% on shipped, so not complaining. You will love ypur serama peeps soooo small and cute as heck

I have one egg that I am putting under our silkie on thursday. I cant wait they are adorable!

i'm not hatching seramas now, nor have i ever. but one day i want to, so i am interested in this thread. i wonder if temps and humidity are different for them? if i didn't have so much going on inside the house i would hatch them now for a couple house chickens. sigh....one day!

Ive got seramas, dutch, plish and sibrights in the bater now. theve been in a week now. My temp is 37.4 - 99.3. Is this temp ok?

This is the perfect thread! I am hoping to hatch some of these little guys some day. There is a person in the same state and she said she'd keep me in the loop as she is hatching some. But i would like to do this too
thank you for your advice suggesting patience and you make a very good point about them being in the shell until they are ready. Subscribing to this as i hope to learn a lot as we all explore and move forward with our experiences.
woo hoo!

They definitely require patience. My smallest birds the A and Micro A's took the longest to make it out of their eggs. I have them in the house I made a brooder for my chicks that hatch in the winter. They are doing very well will get some pics. I incubate at same temp as my other chickens and hatching rate alittle earlier than others by 2 to 3 days. I haven't got a long history in chickens just a year but it has been a very enlightening and very rewarding experience. Love my chickens, all of them.

Back
Top Bottom