Anyone Have a Chick n Barn?

deenamr

Songster
11 Years
Jul 6, 2008
Central Oregon
The local farm supply store has them on sale for $199.00 and the seperate run is 79.99. It seems like a good deal when I think of the prices I have seen in the past. I am wondering if anyone has bought them and what they thought of them. My main thought is to use them for this years chicks until they are 4 or 5 months. Possible then as a small duck house for maybe 4 to 6 ducks. Also thought using them as a chicken tractor to allow more use of my pasture area but still keep the chickens safe.

Any thought would be great. Thanks

I did buy a ChickNBarn last year, at full price! : (
It sounds like you're getting a great deal. That having been said, I wouldn't buy another. We used it for four chickens and found that the barn was big enough but the run was marginal. The wood has warped (no surprise, it is wood) leaving a gap at the roof hinge and making the door to the coop very difficult to open and close. The roosting perch was either too high or too difficult for my chickens to access. The laying boxes do not attach easily, and are unstable. The latch has rusted, despite being made of "brass."
We're using the ChickNBarn again this year, but we've enclosed it in a dog run for additional space. When the new chicks are a bit bigger, I'll remove the original run.
I think the big advantage of the product is that it is a reasonably inexpensive way to find out if you like keeping chickens. Now that I know that I do, I'll upgrade when the ChickNBarn warps a bit more or begins to fall apart.
Hope that helps.

I have a Chick N Barn and the run to go with it. I too paid much more than that! That's a GREAT deal.

I have to say that we have been very happy with the Barn itself. Like Pysanka said, the run is too small. I have 3 hens and it's tight. If you can swing it, buy 2 runs and have one on each end or rig it so that the run is twice the length.

We actually haven't had the same issues as Pysanka with the quality of the Barn. Our girls sleep on the provided roost every night and don't seem to have any troubles. No warping issues after using it for a year here in California. Maybe more severe weather could damage it faster?
idunno.gif
The brass latch on the run is rusty, but that's it.

My husband did install a floor in the Barn and covered it in lino tiles. I think the floor makes it safer and easier to clean out.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

My plan is to actually put it inside of the 400sq feet chicken run I already have and then use the attached run for introducing newbies, special supervision or medical care. Or cross fence 100sq feet off of the run to get maybe 4 to 6 ducks then use it as a duck house. Honestly at the price I thought of buying 2 so I could have one for both of my ideas. I also thought of using them as a chicken tractor to allow more use of my pasture by the girls.

I attached a link.

http://www.critter-cages.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=85

Back
Top Bottom