Anyone Have A Doxiepoo?

magikchick

~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~
12 Years
Apr 21, 2007
SW Florida
I put a deposit down on a puppy. Now I have to wait till Spring to get it as it's not even in the oven yet. This is going to be a long, long, long wait. So if anyone has a doxipoo please post pics.

My neighbors had one when I was a kid. Back then they called them mutts and they were given away for free. Funny how times change. She was the offspring of my dachshund (the male) and another neighbor's poodle. Unfortunately, nobody had their dogs neutered back then and my parents didn't believe in fencing, nor did the owners of the poodle. Bless her heart, she could have done fairly well in one of those "ugliest dog" contests. What is the purpose for that cross? I've never had a dachshund that shed much anyway and my wirehair didn't really shed at all. Maybe the poodle genes make them easier to housetrain!?!

One of the best dogs we ever had was a 'doxie-poo' --- I am not much of one for 'designer dogs' but that combination was fantastic -- our kids named her 'Foo-Foo' after Miss Piggy's little dog on The Muppet Show -- our 'Fooby' was a very compact little dog -- soft black fur (no shedding!!) and a fuzzy face like a schnauzer -- 'Foobs' weighed about 8 to 10 pounds -- she was incredibly smart and had the best temperament --- all of us 'fought' over who got to have her as 'bed-dog' on cold nights -- :)
She lived to be 12 and died of sudden-onset heart failure --- she was clever and active up until the night she died at the Emergency Vet --

I don't have any good pictures but I am sure your new baby will be fun for the whole family --- and I will look forward to spring and hearing about the puppies -- :)

You know what? I re-read my post and I'm sorry, I really didn't mean for it to sound as negative as it does. I'm in kind of a depressed mood this morning, is my only excuse. I'm sure your puppy will be very lovable - after all it will be half dachshund - the best breed on the planet! I still wonder what the reason for the cross is though. Usually people cross with poodles to create non-shedding puppies don't they? I was kind of serious about the housetraining though. Dachshunds are notoriously hard to housetrain, so maybe a doxiepoo might not have that issue. I might want one myself if that's the case. If I could get a dachshund in an easier to train version, I'd love it.

I don't understand why someone would intentionally make this cross, nor do I understand why someone would pay for one. There are so many mixes at shelters that need homes.

Why, tho, would someone cross a breed that has been selectively bred to be short legged, with a very deep keel, a temperament tough enough to go to ground and kill a badger with an up on leg curly coated dog designed to be a water retriever?

I just don't get it.

duc.gif

I'm sure you all know my stance on this.

Sorry I didn't mean to start such a ruckus. I had a doxiepoo that was killed by another dog about 3 years ago. Jo Jo was the love of my life and I have never gotton over it. When I found this breeder the puppy she had on the site looked just like my Joe. So it was instant love.

These dogs a very smart and don't have a lot of the issues such as housebreaking and back problems that full breeds do. Just for the record I have 2 mini doxies also.

I agree on the 'designer dogs' things -- but let's not turn this into a 'rant' ---

The OP was just asking whether anyone had a 'doxie-poo' --- my family's experience with this kind of dog was a very positive one --

magikchick, I think you will be thrilled with your new 'baby' -- and you might even want to donate a bit of money to a rescue group in honor of this special puppy - :)

At my house we have dogs we 'show' as well as beloved rescue-pups ---
all are equally loved and cared-for -- (ask to see my vet bills!?)

As for 'crossing' -- most purebred dogs have had other breeds introduced into the breeding over the years --
my own breed, Cavaliers, has had a long history of being 'modified' by crossing with springers, cockers, and even pekes --
this allowed a separate 'breed' for English Toy Spaniels and Cavalier King Charles Spaniels

'purebred' dogs didn't just suddenly 'happen' ---

Shelters/rescue groups are 'the way to go' for many of us but, on occasion, someone will want a special dog and that doesn't take away from their love of animals --
I am not a breeder -- but there are many 'breeders' out there selling purebred dogs who are way off the 'standard' -- not just the 'intentional' cross-breeding --

All of us in the dog fancy have strong feelings about our dogs -- I, for one, would not want a 'docked' breed -- (not 'aimed' at you Redeyre!) -- just saying that there are different kinds of horses, chickens, cats, and every other kind of living thing --

Back
Top Bottom