Anyone have a good recipe for blackberries...yum!!

Here's one for ya:

Blackberry Turnovers
5 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk
8 Tbsp. butter
8 Tbsp. vegetable shortening
1 and 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
5 cups blackberry jam
Confectioner’s sugar

Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, add the vanilla to the milk and reserve. Cream the butter with the shortening and sugar together and mix well. Beat in the eggs. Add about 1 cup of the flour mixture and, when mixed well, add about 1/4 cup of the milk mixture. Repeat the process until all flour and milk are used and beat well the entire time. Divide dough into 24 equal sized balls. Refrigerate dough balls for about 1 hour. To make turnovers, take each dough ball and roll it into a circle about 8 inches in diameter on a lightly floured surface. Spoon about 3 Tbsp. of the blackberry jam into the center of the circle and spread it around, leaving about 1/2 inch of the outside of the circle plain. Moisten the outside edge of the dough with a little bit of water on your finger and then fold the dough to make a half circle. Crimp the curved edge with a fork and then poke a few holes in the top of the turnover. Place turnovers on a cookie sheet that has been greased with butter or non-stick spray and bake the turnovers in a pre-heated 375-degree oven for about 20 minutes. Allow turnovers to cool and then sprinkle with Confectioner’s sugar before serving. **EDITED To Say: Instead of jam use your berry mixture made just like you would for a pie!**

Last edited:
Hey Angie, sorry this is an old post, but I was just looking for recipes. If you stuck any of those in the freezer, they go great in vanilla yogurt. In fact, you only need a few of them stirred into the yogurt. My kids like to make pretty designs with them in the yogurt before eating it. Sometimes I put them into a DutchBoy Pancake for a special breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom