Anyone have a hen or eggs set for October? Join us!

UPDATE: Another egg is pipping. Don't know if it will make it as Stella is off the nest a lot with her 3 chicks. I put it under another broody to keep it warm I will check on it tonight to see if it has progressed. This is day 28. Holy Cow!
Day 28?!?!
ep.gif
Wow!

Just went out to check my pipped egg. Queenie did her job as egg sitter the hole is 3 times as big and it was peeping very strongly. I put it back under Stella for the night. I hope it is zipped and out by morning. DH will check at 5:30 when he gets up to make sure it is still under the hen.:D

I think the hatch is done, but gonna leave unhatched eggs a few more hours.

Final Count:
3/6 Mille Fleur Leghorns
6/6 Cream Legbars: (4 girls!, but one has a partially unabsorbed yolk)
Polish: 10/12
Dominique: 1/2 (shipped eggs)
Buff Orp. 1/2 (shipped eggs)
Green Eggers: 2/2

Total set: 30
Total Chicks: 23

They were due on the 16th in the pm. The first Polish pipped in the in the morning of the 16th, but Polish often hatch early. The last few stragglers hatched on their own during the night sometime (24 hours after due date).

I assisted three this morning that had zipped before I went to bed and still had not emerged. They were glued to the shell so I doubt they would have gotten out on their own. The Cream Legbar with the unabsorbed yolk was one I helped. In her case, the yolk had been absorbed off the wall, but had not fully absorbed inside. She had a hard bubble on her rear. Not sure she will make it.

One of the Polish that zipped, died before I could help it out. Poor thing. I am always afraid to help too early, but in this case, I waited too long. You just never know. I usually only assist when I think the hatch is done.

Last edited:
My one and only paint is zipped but cant get out for 9 hours now. It is panting hard. Should I open bator to help or not. I have no problem keeping humidity up.
try to break a little bit of shell ( not all of it) if you can with out damaging the membranes and chickie. . One of my chickie couldnt get out of her shell over 14 hours end up having a crippled leg for trying to get out ! Be sure to hold it wil a warm wet cloth so it wont dry out, let me know how it goes !

She had the shell 3/4's zipped but the membrane was still attached in the middle of zip. I just pulled that apart and she rolled right out shortly after. Now I have 2 more half open taken forever. I am feeling like a nervous new mommy here. Thanks for the help. I got these eggs from catdance, I had 15 growing strong up until lockdown and now 3 are out and 6 more have pipped. Still waiting on 2 buffs, 2 b/s, and 2 por. I am hoping to see some form of life out of them soon. The worse part is when they start then stop for HOURS. Some say leave them alone and then some say to assist; I just dont know how long to wait before I should assist. Any and all help at this point would be extremel y appreciated.Thanks for all support.

Back
Top Bottom