Anyone have a recipe for apple preserves?

ParkerVA

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Blue Ridge, VA
Growing up, there was a woman who would give my mom a pint sized jar of apple preserves for Christmas. It was delicious and I looked forward to it every year. (I was very upset when it was all gone!)

It was thinly sliced apples, plenty of cinnamon and whole cloves. Very thick and chunky, mostly fruit.

I have looked for recipes online and can't find many at all. I may take one and adapt it, but wondered if anyone had one?

(The lady who made it has passed away and her daughter does not have the recipe.)

Last edited:
I can't help you but I have found that sometimes Fanny Farmer cookbooks have those old classic recipies.

I was just given 1/2 a buchel of apples and that sounds like something I might want to do. I'll pull out my old books and see if I can find anything for it.

Thanks so much s6bee, anything would be wonderful. I've found two that I may be able to use to create a hybrid, but welcome anything!

I don't have a weights and measures recipe - I play alot by ear from years of cooking and canning.

Peeled and cored apples - many usually at least 2 - 4 dozen or more, peeled, cored, sliced.

Into a large pot, with lemon slices and a bit of water. Bring up to a boil and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes - just fork tender not mushy.

I add 4 - 5 cups of sugar for every pound of fruit.

While I am waiting for it to come back up to a boil and the sugars to melt I add a little cinnamon and nutmeg to my taste preference.

Let it boil 1 minute while stirring.

Remove it from the heat, ladle into hot jars, process 10 - 15 min in a boiling water bath.

Thank you so much, Miss Prissy! You always seem to come to my rescue. I can't use the apples in our back yard. So I had DH take me to the orchard the other day. Now I have to figure out what exactly I want to do with them. I was also thinking of canning some for apple pie filling. I haven't found a recipe for that yet. So I'm still looking, I'm sure I seen one here somewhere.

Thanks again!

There is alot you can do with them.

I have done applesauce, applebutter, apple preserves - which doubles as pie filling. I have made apple pies and apple cobblers. I also use apples with winter squashes, prunes, raisens etc to cook prk roasts for hearty cool weather meals (it's in the fashion of many polish dishes - my husbands heritage is polish and finnish).

Apples are for more than just dessert.

You can do fried apples and serve them in place of a veggie for the supper plate too.

Back
Top Bottom