1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

anyone have a reptipro 5000 die shortly after purchase? temp 140

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gallatea, Mar 31, 2011.

1. gallatea

gallatea Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2010
    200 bucks down the drain. After my 2nd hatch and only 28 or so days of use - it started beeping nonstop, and the temp got stuck on 140. The up and down buttons don't work. How annoying, thank GOD my 2nd batch hatched LAST NIGHT. Talk about the nick of time. It started doing this spontaneously this AM. I had some of my own eggs from sizzle/silkie incubating for a few days - they were free though. I spent a lot on my ebay eggs. And thank goodness they were done and hatched. Not that I care how much eggs are, but in general, it'd be heart breaking for this to have happened at day 20.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  2. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Contact Reptipro...I'm sure they'll help you! [​IMG]

3. gallatea

Mar 31, 2010
    Bought off Ebay, not Reptipro - no warranty then. But - I put a fan in front and then in back for a few hours. I figured maybe it was overwhelmed by very high humidity.

So I solved it myself - drying out the circuit boards cleared it right up. Fully functioning again. Duh. Well hopefully this can help others if it ever happens.

4. suburbanchickymama

suburbanchickymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Apex, NC
    Yikes! Glad your chickies made it out in time! Good to know this can happen - I have the same one! I'm planning on using a seperate hatcher so maybe that will help with not having the super high humidity. How was your hatch? Obviously it is terrible that it freaked out on you but I have been really happy with how well it holds temps and humidity and would love to know if your hatch went well! Hope that yours is all fixed!

5. gallatea

Mar 31, 2010
    Quote:That's a great idea - I will do that too eventually. I've had my cell phone drop in my yard before on rainy days, and found it a few days later - soaked and not working. Dried it out, and it came back to life. So figured the same might work. So glad it did. I'm almost tempted to keep the fan going behind the machine just in case. Or at the least - the last 3 days.

It went well - 8 eggs French Copper Black Marans - 4 live, 2 fully formed but died after pip (common), 1 never developed at all, and 1 die in egg, didn't pip. This was my 2nd hatch right after a previous one. So my first experience with this incubator and incubating at all ever. Very happy. I've met others trying to hatch FCBM's and they had zero survive, only 1 pop out of more than 8 eggs (I think 16). I think the forced air is much better. The temp held steady, if I kept the same water amt. it was steady. I just don't like that digital thermometers are just plain inaccurate. I need to invest in a special therm/hydro just for this purpose - not the Walmart kind for 3 dollars like most have (and what I have too). I kept it at 101, to get a temp of 99. My cheap thermometer said it was 98. God only knows what it really was, but they hatched, so must be doing something right.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  6. luvkigers

luvkigers New Egg

May 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I also bought a new reptipro..had one good hatch and after that won't heat at all.. very disappointed. I emailed the seller who was on ebay.. the seller's name was reptipro.. they said I wasn't using it right..

Funny, all you do is plug in and set the temp, how could that be wrong.

7. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I absolutely LOVE my Reptipro and have never had any issues with it whatsoever. However, I had similar problem with an ExoTerra (Reptipro clone). Used it for one hatch very successfully, then when I set the second group of eggs, the fan and heating element (possibly circuit board??) died 36 hours into the hatch.

There is a Reptipro representative who is a member of BYC who would likely be able to help you out. He/she posts every now and thenÂ… perhaps do a member search for them and maybe send them a message?

8. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    I'm glad to know about this just incase the same thing happens with mine. I ordered the Reptipro 5000 with 2 turners on Friday and hoping it will be here tomorrow. I found the guy I talked to very helpful as he answered all my questions and gave me some extra tips on using it. Only problem so far is getting them to give me a tracking number so I can find out where it is. Called yesterday and was told I'd receive one but didn't. Called this morning and have not received it yet either. Called a few minutes ago and no answer so left a message. I am a little perturbed, but maybe I shouldn't be. It wouldn't be so bad, but I ordered eggs last week that took an extra day to arrive, I am using a LG incubator that won't hold temperature no matter what I try which is why I decided to order the Reptipro hoping it gets here quickly, but now I can't even find out where it is. I've had very little sleep since last Wednesday trying to stay on top of the temperature at all hours of the day and night. So I'm a little aggravated. [​IMG]

The way my luck is going I will probably get a dud. [​IMG]

9. Travis91

Travis91 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2011
    Quote:i talked to him today on the phone.. he is the owner. his name is chris.. very very nice guy.. everyone on here complains about the thermostats. he said he has replacements. and will make it right with customers if something happens to there bators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by