Anyone have a square foot garden?

Quote:
That's about right, no less than 5 gallons of dirt but the more the better! We use the huge terra-cotta pots and add a organic material and a bit of organic fertilizer nad you get yummy juicy melons!

Great! This pot would be at least a 5 gal or better! I will give it a try! If you remember let us know how the squash does.

I can tell you so far so good, we have plants, just too young for squash. Hopefully we'll get a lot b/c this gal LOVES squash lol

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I scored some AWESOME raised beds today!!!
wee.gif
Been working on some chicken tractors and saw an add on craigslist for free wood. I'm using as much recycled stuff as I can. But I digress, these things were used to hold "rolls" at one of the mills in the area that went under. They are made out of 2x6, 8, & 12 lumber!! SOLID!! I'm thinking I'll Paint them to help them last longer. Pics coming after while!

ETA---PICTURES!!!

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

They are pretty good size as you can tell by the 55 gal. drums setting by them.

Last edited:
That's a great find! But. You might have a drainage problem. I'd take the bottoms out or at least remove every other board or something.

I'm really thinking about doing this method. I have never gardened before in my life. I've been going to some local free classes to get an idea of what our soil needs here. I have tons of space to use at my new house and I really want to try to be a bit more sustainable. I prefer knowing what goes into and on my food. I'm going to delve through this thread for ideas!

Quote:
With those chickens, you should get a great start to your garden! Take a look at all the gardening threads here, especially the "Serious Gardening" one. Welcome to gardening!

Back
Top Bottom