Anyone have an actual chicken barn?

TBJumper0514

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 7, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I am in the process of looking for a new house/land, so I am planning out my chicken housing for the future. I have several breeds and colors that I will be working with, so I would like to build an actual barn for my chickens to be separate from the horse barn. I would like it to be a center aisle style, with "stalls" as their coops. They will have attached runs for going outdoors from their coops. Everything will be closed in and contained to keep predators out. On one end I will also have a feed/supply area and brooder area, as well as some smaller coop/run combos for housing single roos or test breeding pairs.

Anyone else have something like this? Pics/design ideas? I have a rough sketch that I am working on, but would like to see other people's barns. Also, ideas for sizes, placement, etc of the actual coops and runs and thing that need to be in them (they will need roosts, nest boxes, feed, water) would be great! I plan on keeping 4-8 birds per "stall".

Interesting. All my coops now are very open and airy. Most have at least 2 sides that are open with only wire to contain them and keep critters out. None of my chickens ever seem too affected by the heat, even though it has been oppressive most of the summer. Even though it will be a barn design, there will be plenty of ventilation and open space. It won't be very closed in since I live in a climate that is very hot and humid most of the year and have pretty mild winters. And of course, they will have free access anytime to the outdoor runs since they will be covered to prevent predators from entering.

I have two coups. One for my free range flock and one for my show bantam Polish. Here is my air conditioned room he built complete with automatic watering. This one is for our free range flock:

Saw a couple of post on here that I can't find now simular to what I believe you are talking about. One had the enclosed stalls along either side for the different groups. They would be released in groups for their individual times in the run using the main isle to lead outside. The other had the enclosed areas on either side each with a large outside run of their own accessed from the opposite sides.

well what you could do is use 6by8 stalls and at the back of the stall where it's just the back wall and cut a hole going outside with a run attached maybe 4 nest boxes in each pen with a roost

We redesigned a barn to accommodate our chickens. The barn is roughly 42' x 30'. It really didn't take that long to complete either. Once the inside was modified we added an outdoor run area which is attached to the barn itself. The plan below is now out of date because a second run area has been added for bantam breeds. The run areas are actually seldom used due to the fact we prefer free-ranging our flocks. The run areas are now used more for management control of the flock. More images can be seen in our profile.

I plan on building a kennel type chicken barn, with a covered area for feed and brooders, "kennels" on either side for 4-6 chickens, and then 2 large pens at the end for turkeys, guineas, and or a mixed laying flock. I would like to have one walk way down the middle with auto waterers and roll out nest boxes. the walk way and half of the kennels would be covered, that way they all get sunlight. I had a friend that built a barn for her chickens, but the pen were covered all the way on the top, and the chickens in the middle didnt lay as good, I suggested she extend the pens out so they all get sunlight, IDK if she ever did it though.

I dont have anything on paper yet

Back
Top Bottom