Anyone have an outdoor brooder?

You are not being bad. Predator proof, draft free, food, water, some room, proper temoperature. They are happy.

I keep mine in the coop, a 3' x 5' brooder. I keep the heat up in one area and let the rest cool off naturally. This spring, the coolest corner was 70 degrees. They pretty much spent the first could of days under the heat, which was around 90*F. By day three they were roaming all over the brooder, just coming back to the heat when they needed to warm up.

Like a lot of people that have posted here, I keep mine outside too. We have a shed for the rabbits that I've been keeping them in and next year they'll be out in the coop since I'll finally have electric there.

The best thing we ever did was move our brooder outside. We have an entire room in the barn that is set up for brooding chicks. I love it and the chicks love it!

Mine are outside from day 3 on. I have a 4X8 shed that has a wire door that keep predators out. I put 1 brooder lamp in the corner 3' off the floor and a seedling heating mat under it. It works great. Best thing I ever did. Before that they were brooded in a horse trough with a brooder lamp clipped to the side in my greenhouse. That worked till they got a couple of weeks old. I like the shed better cause they have room to get away from the light and each other if need be. Plus I can sweep it out and clean it easy.

Lanae

Quote:
that's a good idea...
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom