Anyone have any uber friendly lap chickens?

Pet Duck Boy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 12, 2009
Orlando, FL
Well, do ya? By friendly I mean a chicken that actually enjoys your company...likes to be petted, and would rather be with you than it's flock! I have one. Her name is runt-runt, or runty for a nickname. She's a RIR pullet, 12-13 weeks old and LOVES people. Obviously, she started out as a bit of a runt and was half the size of her sisters at week 1. She cought up quite a bit in size, but still remains slightly smaller and less developed than the others. She insists on jumping in your lap....and will actually cuddle up to you, and stick her little head inbetween my fingers! I have 3 other pullets that are tame, the last one is a bit skittish. But I never knew chickens would actually enjoy attention...I mean runt-runt is like a little feathered person! As soon as I sit down she'll jump in my lap, lay down, and patiently wait to be petted. She loves it when I hold her head and scratch her chin, and rub her face. She'll fall asleep when I do that. She always doesn't mind about the others straying from her when I'm there...when outside she stays by me! Yes she'll go back to her friends and forage with them for a little, but it's back to me for a quick massage! I need to get a picture of her cuddling, but so far she's camera shy.
roll.png

Anyone else out there have lap chickens?

We had one that did that. Rode on our shoulders, sat with us during dinner (when we ate outside), rode in the car on our laps. She really thought she was a dog!! She loved being with us. She just passed away 3 weeks ago and our family is still very upset. It was worse than when the cats died! Everyone kept saying "It was just a chicken", coming from people who never raised chickens, they have no clue how truly loveable chickens can be.
We now have 10 new baby chicks (4 weeks old today!) and we are hoping to get another Runner (that was our chickens name) out of the bunch.
But yes, we too had a chicken like that! It was wonderful. Enjoy!!

Mine go through phases of wanting affection. This month (lol), only one is a real cuddler, and two are very friendly (will jump up in my lap for a quick scratch or two, then back down). My lead hen tolerates being petted, and my other avoids being petted.

I had a Buff Orpington who was friendly like that. She used to fly up onto my shoulder and sit there like a demented chicken-parrot. Unfortunately, she passed away recently in a freak accident involving an overturned birdbath. We miss her a lot, I would like to get some Lav. Orpington eggs to hatch and see if I get another one as friendly as her. I do have a really friendly silkie who will sit on the grass with me out in the yard. She is sweet, but not quite as people loving as the Orpington was.

Last edited:
Most definitely! I have a turkey that is like that with me. To the point where she gets jealous if I'm petting another chicken or holding a baby chicken. It's so funny. But I have an 8 week old EE that was supposed to be a sexed pullet, who is crowing now, and he's super sweet and will come to my husband to be pet and fed treats. And another 8 weeks old EE that just loves to be held-ALL THE TIME. One of my twins says "the chick that loves me so much wants me to hold it".

Chickens and turkeys are adorable!

I had a serama that would fly up on my shoulder and ride there (being NICE enough to leave presents everytime) until I forced him off. He made the mistake of jumping off in my pen with my huge cochin and he flew back the quickest I ever saw lol. He was killed by unknown predator
hmm.png

I have two faverolles pullets that are inseparable so when one sits in my lap the other follows and then the other seven chickens think that they are getting treats so they hang around my feet and then the dogs get jealous because the chickens are getting all the attention so of course I end up with 12 animals climbing into my lap, sitting on my feet or pushing at my fingers wanting to get fed and petted. I wonder how it's going to go when I get more chickens, ducks, turkeys and goats?

Back
Top Bottom