Anyone have any uber friendly lap chickens?

We have a few... but 1 thats super friendly, shes a BO, and we call her cheesepuff. She'll follow you around until you pick her up. She'll get excited our something, and will peep like a chick! Its the cutest thing ever! The kids and my Husband will sing this song from South Park.... Its the "I love Cheesy Poofs" song. They say she loves it! But I don't see me going out there and finding out myself.
gig.gif

How do ya'll raise them to be friendly? All my bantam chicks were either friendly when I got them or skittish. My cochin girls only like me when I have treats, other times they run away.
roll.png
I am fixing to get silkies, seramas, and cochins chicks and want some friendly girls
big_smile.png

I have a bantam salmon Fav that does that. I got him from someone who kept him in the house due to too many roos. We kept him inside for a bit, and then slowly integrated into our flock. Every time I free range he hops onto my lap to get pets and scratches. When I walk around the property he flies and jumps to keep up with me!

My lap chicken is a RIR too!
big_smile.png
Emma will get in your lap to beg for food (or try to pull out your nose ring!). Recently, we put a dog harness on her and walked her around the backyard. It was so funny! I wish I could find the pictures of her on a leash. She mostly scratched and dug around instead of actual walking. She throws a fit when you leave the coop and trys to climb up the chicken wire. I love my spoiled chicken.

I had 4 chicks, two Barred Rocks and two Easter Eggers. One of the Barred Rock pullets was a bully, and while I had her, none of the other chicks were able to get treats because she would steal them, but she would do it aggresively. And yes it WAS a girl lol.

I also had one EE cockerel in that group, and he wasn't aggresive persay, but he was definately NOT interested in being friends. He had a job to do, and he took that VERY seriously, even at 2 weeks old lol.

Now, those two are in new homes, and I am left with Munk (EE) and Joon (BR) who are BOTH very friendly, easy to catch, and follow me from free ranging to the chicken run. I can hold both of them, and when I go to pick them up, they freeze. Neither is very loud and they get along wonderful with each other.

I am glad I was able to get 4 chicks and weed out my favorites. It worked out perfectly. I also researched EE's and BR as best I could and know both breeds have friendly traits (usually). Now I am left with two total lovebugs who hop on my arm and just chill, it's great.

My problem is trying to give them all equal attention. Usually there is one that is super needy and can't let me out of sight. As I am usually covered in chicks and chickens I have been making diapers like crazy. As I write I have a sock pinned inside my shirt and my newest needy one is in there. Not all are cuddly (I have about 40 some) but almost any chicken can become so if you spend the time and attention. Too bad my DH is not a chicken lover anymore and wants me to get rid of them. Chickens are soooo sweet!

My chickens have always been quite tame but since i got my salmon faverolle pair they have all follwed there example and are liek wee babys:D they follow me everywhere and my faverolle hen, sally follows me like at my heels, love faverolles, definatly getting more, such personalitys

Here is a piccy of Sally
big_smile.png

57705_p1010696.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom