Anyone have Cochins?

werblessd1s

Songster
12 Years
Jun 6, 2007
NORTH FLORIDA
I am considering getting some of the heavy breed Cochins come Spring. I was trying to find out some info on them. Do they lay/set good? I would love to see some pics if you have them.
Have you mixed your Cochins and come up with a unique color? or mixed with a different breed?
I am getting Frizzles and Silkies as well.

I have black blue and splash. They laid all winter with added light and then went through summer moult, which is fine because it has been hot as heck here. I have mixed blue over RIR and have 2 was just testing fertility but they are great birds. I will see if I can find a pic of cracker RIR X COCHIN that has become the flock roo. I did find a picture but it is not the best his comb is normal size but his wattles are HUGE.

4388_dsc00210.jpg

Last edited:
wer, I have 4 large cochins from this Spring. 2 blue, 2 black. Very friendly and adorable. Not laying yet so I can't help you there.
7664_got_chickens_029.jpg
7664_junk_019.jpg

I have 8 standard cochins in all colors and they are good layers but the eggs are small. But for personality you can't beat them except for my 2 giant jerseys. They are so sweet also and love to talk and are good layers with BIG! brown eggs. So I would say either one would suit you purpose.

Jacie

I have a Silver Laced Cochin, also not laying so I can't help you there but she is a sweetie.
I will post some pix when my comp gets back from being worked on
tongue.png

I also have 4 cochins, they have not been laying well this summer, we thought maybe because we added to the flock, and they may have eaten the starter, but now I'm thinking maybe molting. They are pretty sweet birds, but can get rough looking when it is muddy out, and they get poppy butts sometimes cuz thier butts are so fuzzy!!!
They lay nice size eggs, at least mine do. They go broody a lot, at least mine did this summer.
We have not crossed yet, because we only had the cochins, and banty D'uccles, and did not hatch out any eggs this spring.
We got babies instead to expand the flock!
Brenda

PS here are some of mine, the Roo is doing his mating dance! LOL!

DSCN2485.jpg

Well, my silver laced cochins are only 6 wks, so I don't know about laying/setting, but I have to say as far as personality so far I'm a little dissapointed. They are not as frienly as I had heard that cochins are supposed to be, and they seem to be aggressive/picking more than my other breeds. Maybe I'm the only one who has had this experience w/cochins I don't know. (Or maybe they are all roos
sad.png
)
13500_p9010081.jpg

Back
Top Bottom