Anyone have experience with kennel cough? It's a nasty case...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by EllyMae, Aug 20, 2008.

1. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

My moms dog came home from being boarded(and yes he was vaccinated for bordetella) but several days later developed a case of kennel cough. He went to the vet this am for treatment but I was wondering...if I go over there today what are my risks of bringing that home to my three dogs. One of which is a pug and the thought of a respiratory illness for her scares me to death. Anyone know much about the risks?

2. freerange freaks

freerange freaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    kennel cough is just like the flu for us. It is highly contageous and I would take precautions when visiting an infected dog. Such as a bleach soak for your shoes and hand washing. I'm not sure for how long the virus is contageous but I'd be waiting quite a while before the dogs had any contact with one another.

3. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    More like a cold actually, which is to say not too serious for a reasonably healthy dog. It runs it's course in 2 weeks or less. Oh, and as you've already figured out, the vaccine is next to useless.

Keep up the bleach routine as freerange freaks suggested and you can also supplement their food with colostrum, and awesome immune booster, and vitamin C.

You might get some better ideas from www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    It is highly contagious! I would not go over there until the dog is well and I would also get my dogs a booster vaccination before I went over so that you can feel safer.

When we bought our acreage, 10 acres in an open wheat field, all of our dogs came down with kennel cough except my schnauzer who was vaccinated regularly because of going to the groomer all the time. My vet told me that the dogs probably picked it up here on the property from the coyotes that wondered through before we moved in.

So, the virus can last outside the host for quite a while. I think that is why there is such a problem with it in most animal shelters.

5. JohnL11935

JohnL11935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Human health risk

Until recently, infectious tracheobronchitis was considered to not be a human health risk. Recently however, research indicates that Bordetella bronchiseptica may cause disease in some humans, primarily those with compromised immune systems. In normal, healthy adults there does not appear to be a risk factor, but young children and immunocompromised individuals should take precautions against coming into contact with animals that have symptoms of tracheobronchitis.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1611&articleid=452

6. EllyMae

Thanks everyone soooo much for the input. I am going to postpone my visit over there for a while to be on the safe side. I have three dogs and it would be quite the vet bill to have to treat all three!

7. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    there really is not a treatment for KC,it has to run itself out like a common cold,all you can do is give them something to ease the symptoms,the problem with the shots is they only cover 1-3 strains,and there are many other strains out there and you never know which will be making the rounds..

8. EllyMae

Then don't you think it would be best if I stayed away from my mom's house to prevent cross contamination. I have a pug (plus two other dogs) and I would think that a respiratory illness would be worse for her due to her having breathing issues anyway. Everywhere I read it says that KC is very contagious.

9. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    When we got our toy Pomeranian last spring he had kennel cough and some other illness from the shelter. We had another dog who didn't get sick at all as she is very healthy. We called the vet (we live over an hour away) and he suggested an antibiotic that I could buy at my feed store. Of course the meds didn't help the cough one bit, but it did take care of the other illness that was keeping his immune system from being able to fight the cough.

The vet told me it usually only affects dogs whose immune systems are already compromised (much like those who aren't taking care of themselves are more likely to get a cold, I suppose.) if you are concerned about your dogs, by all means, stay away a bit longer, and take precautions not to spread it when you do visit. Like a cold, it can turn to pneumonia if it isn't treated, which is why I went through the mess of giving my dog shots twice a day for over a week. The dog who has the cough ought to act perfectly fine and healthy, other than the cough. If he is acting sick, he's got something else in addition and may need antibiotics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by