Anyone have Experience with this Coop?

MCBlueSwede

Hatching
May 11, 2019
Crystal Lake IL
I used to raise and show ducks when I was growing up and want to get some again. I am not too handy as a carpenter, but I can attach hardware cloth, paint/stain and do minor reinforcement to a coop if needed. Just not sure I can build my own. I want to have 2 ducks, 4 max (girls only). As a child, we had well over 100 (a lot of work!!!), so 2-4 is great for me :) I want to get all my ducks in a row so to speak before even buying any. I used to have mallards and Buff Orpingtons. I am looking at breeds similar to the Buffs. I saw a coop on Amazon that is ground level and seems to have pretty good reviews compared to other coops. Just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this coop? Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076JHDYCN/?tag=backy-20
Thank you for any feedback. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
I used to raise and show ducks when I was growing up and want to get some again. I am not too handy as a carpenter, but I can attach hardware cloth, paint/stain and do minor reinforcement to a coop if needed. Just not sure I can build my own. I want to have 2 ducks, 4 max (girls only). As a child, we had well over 100 (a lot of work!!!), so 2-4 is great for me :) I want to get all my ducks in a row so to speak before even buying any. I used to have mallards and Buff Orpingtons. I am looking at breeds similar to the Buffs. I saw a coop on Amazon that is ground level and seems to have pretty good reviews compared to other coops. Just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this coop? Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076JHDYCN/?tag=backy-20
Thank you for any feedback. I really appreciate it.

I didn’t have this exact coop but one very similar when I got my first guinea fowl. I started with four and quickly outgrew it due to chicken/guinea math! My biggest complaint about that sort of coop is that it is light and easily lifted and tossed by moderate to high winds. One windy day after I had already moved to a bigger coup, the winds picked the coop up and lifted it off the ground tossed it across the yard, breaking some of it apart. Most of the coop survived, though, which says a bit for its durability! I was just glad it wasn’t in use at the time! After that, I rebuilt it and put it inside the barn to put broody moms and babies in and it worked well for that. If you get it, I would suggest securing it to the ground well in some way so that it will not be affected by winds or other weather. You may also want to put something on the bottom and reinforce it so that predators cannot dig underneath and get into the coop.
Good luck!

Thank you for your feedback. So helpful! Yes, I have found that I am pretty disappointed with the pre-fab coops. For one thing, most of them are for chickens and have the high coops and ramps. Yes, thank you, I was thinking of putting hardware cloth on the bottom. Yes, that makes sense about the wind. It is amazing what wind can do. I have even had some issues with my horse run-in sheds being picked up. I wonder if I could attach some hardware to the bottom and put some fencing stakes in. I like that it is like a tractor and can be used for free ranging so was thinking of the fencing stakes that are used with the hot wire tape sold for horses pasture grazing.

I am pretty frustrated though with the pre-fab coops for a lot of reasons:
1) not sturdy
2) not predator proof (some do not use hardware cloth)
3) still pricey!!!
4) not many are duck friendly
5) Cheap wood, hardware, latches :-(
6) have to modify- paint/stain/change hardware. etc.

I did find some sites that had some better coops - one I found would cost me about $900 with shipping included - and another $100 if I want it painted. That particular one is called a duck run. Maybe I should go that route. Hmmm...so much to consider

Back
Top Bottom