Anyone have luck catching a feral chicken?? UPDATE: Rooster caught, no hen

Now it makes me wonder if doves are in the pigeon family and do the same thing......
OH the things I knew but have forgotten over the years........
Yes. Doves are a type of pigeon.

I'm sure if kept properly they are a lovely bird. The ones I deal with are raised to train bird dogs... so as long as they are alive for training the dogs the people who use the birds don't care much about their well-being. It's terribly hard for me not to jump in and take over. But, they are not my birds and I don't have the money to take them on. I do my best to keep them healthy because they are close to where my chickens live. It's sad really.

No flack from my hubby either.
He fought me forever against chickens. :rolleyes:

Now he calls ME to come see what the chickens are doing! I hear all the time "Which one is that?" "That is one seriously pretty chicken." "Get more of that breed next time. They are so funny."

The last referring to my broody bantam Cochin.
:love Hubby is as crazy as I am!
I actually caught my hubby holding one of the bantams and talking to her in a sweet baby voice. Doesn't like them my ass!

Yes. Doves are a type of pigeon.

I'm sure if kept properly they are a lovely bird. The ones I deal with are raised to train bird dogs... so as long as they are alive for training the dogs the people who use the birds don't care much about their well-being. It's terribly hard for me not to jump in and take over. But, they are not my birds and I don't have the money to take them on. I do my best to keep them healthy because they are close to where my chickens live. It's sad really.
To train the dog, lots of times we use just the wing or tail of the bird. Those birds are lucky to be alive! I trained my Brittany to sit still with the bird on her head. Started with a dog biscuit on the nose, then a wing. Then a live cockatiel. That was because she killed 2 chicks when she was young, needed to learn to not kill my birds.

I call it "pseudo-winter."

Every now and then the north lets out a poot that makes it all the way to my house.

It gets cold enough to disrupt my routine and make me "winterize" things, then for a few days it's really cold, and sometimes things even freeze, but it doesn't stay.

Everyone makes a gumbo, we all complain about the weather, and try not to go outside because Cajuns are like Bambi when it comes to ice. Especially driving. Then it's back in the 70 & 80s within a few days and the mosquitoes are especially hungry because they haven't eaten in a few days.

That's basically "winter" in Louisiana.
And sometimes even freeze! :lau There's 5 inches of snow on the ground right now. :lol:

View attachment 1174263
This is a naked neck I could have. Reminds me of a poodle when they give them those strange hair cuts. LOL
Those are called Showgirls. :D

Some people think NN's are ugly, but some things are so ugly they are cute? Ever seen a new-hatched parrot? One day Dylan will meet her dream boyfriend, so we can have some!View attachment 1174290 View attachment 1174289
Yes they are so ugly that they're cute. :love

Definitely! I’ve fed them live crickets already (we have a gecko that eats them too). They loved them. Then yesterday I found a big juicy worm under a rock and handed it inside the run. Whichever one got there first, got the worm. It was hilarious watching her with it and trying to keep it away from the others. I’m just not sure if she ate it all or dropped it.
I need to name them. Just haven’t settled on anything yet. 3 of them are Isa Browns, so I’m still trying to figure out their differences.

You could get colored zip ties to band their leg, not too tight. Then you can call them red, green, yellow and black until you settle on names.:lol:

That’s good to know. When I looked at them, they looked at me like, “What now?” :D

You are doing great! Good idea not to micro manage every little thing,;)

Back
Top Bottom