Anyone have nests outside the coop?

momoftwinsinwi

Songster
13 Years
May 29, 2007
Rochester, WI
I was wondering if anyone has nests outside the coop and if a hen will even lay in there in winter time?? I'm thinking about putting one nesting box outside the coop along the wall of the coop and putting some sort of shelter around it? I have 14 hens and 5 nesting boxes, 4 of which I'll put in the coop but I don't know that I'll have room for a 5th and I know I probably don't need a 5th but what the heck, I have it??? I'm using those plastic stackables for nests....

Thanks in advance for any advice
smile.png

I have a row of 4 outdoor nestboxes inside the carport at my art studio. If you want I can take and post a picture later, but they are mounted on the wall up a couple of feet and the carport roof provides shelter from the rain or snow. I have several hens who always prefer these nest boxes to the ones in the hen house, and so far it has stopped them from creating nests out under bushes. This will be my first winter, but I bet they will use them in all seasons. They are a lot nicer in summer, cooler and with a breeze much of the time.

Back
Top Bottom