Anyone have pics of Speckled Sussex crosses?

Gallusfarm

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
I can't find (readily) any posts showing SS crosses. Please post pics or provide info if you have experience with this cross. Maybe SS X RIR, or something of that nature. I'm interested in what the offspring will look like. Thank you!!

GreenGoddess ans SS with Production Reds

Little Grey Bantam has SS with Wellies.

I Speckled Sussex crossed with a RIR would give birds the color of RIRs. The first generation offspring would not have mottleing because it is a recessive gene and those offspring would have to be crossed back together or to the SS to get more mottled birds.

Crossing a SS with a Buff Orp ( like hinkjc done) gives birds with a buff columbian or NHR appearance.

And with my SS cross, I crossed a roo on my RIW hens ang got sexlinks.
37373_sl_chicks.jpg

37373_sl_chicks_2.jpg

37373_sl_pullet.jpg

37373_sl_roo.jpg

Quote:
OK Those are recent pictures though so thats how they still look, but when they fill out a little more I will get more pics and post them.

Speckled Sussex crossed with a RIR would give birds the color of RIRs. The first generation offspring would not have mottleing because it is a recessive gene and those offspring would have to be crossed back together or to the SS to get more mottled birds.

I am going to argue with you here. Only becuase we use these crosses for our project birds, and about 30% of the offspring SHOW mottling. Maybe not well, but well enough to know which ones carry the mottling gene, and would be the "keepers" for our Aloha project.

I don't know if this means anything at all, but all the birds with one white feather (at hatch-1 week) seem to carry the mottling gene. Have you noticed this?

Some of this week's Aloha Chicks
22588_chick1.jpg

19692_php1ga9e8pm.jpg

Obvious white feather, but kinda cruddy mottling
36979_picture_1421.jpg

Very subtle mottling (look for dark blue spots)--but all her offspring are heavily mottled.
36979_img_7518.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I am going to argue with you here. Only becuase we use these crosses for our project birds, and about 30% of the offspring SHOW mottling. Maybe not well, but well enough to know which ones carry the mottling gene, and would be the "keepers" for our Aloha project.

I don't know if this means anything at all, but all the birds with one white feather (at hatch-1 week) seem to carry the mottling gene. Have you noticed this?

Some of this week's Aloha Chicks
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/22588_chick1.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/19692_php1ga9e8pm.jpg

Obvious white feather, but kinda cruddy mottling
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/36979_picture_1421.jpg

Very subtle mottling (look for dark blue spots)--but all her offspring are heavily mottled.

How old are these chicks now ? Yes it is common for Split mottled chicks to show a small amount of mottling mainly in the breast feathers while they are young, but it will all molt out within a few months back to a solid bird, I've dealt with that several times and thanks for pointing that out as I forgot to mention it earlier, yes it is a good way to tell which birds are split and which arent but they must be separated before they lose their spots and then you wont be able to tell them apart.

Quote:
I know this is an old thread, but I came across it in a search and wanted to add my two chicks, one is from a RIR roo and SS hen cross. They both looked like chipmunks when hatched, one a gray chipmunk and the other a brown chipmunk. Bobbie is hard to tell from the RIR pullets now except that her feathers are fluffier around her legs.
The other is from a Red Star roo on the same SS hen Brownie.
Bobbie --SS X RIR Roo

73073_bobbie2.jpg

73073_bobbie.jpg

Gray --SS X Red Star Roo

73073_dovegray.jpg

73073_gray.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom