What would be the outcome of this cross

Jan 3, 2024
Ive had a few different variety’s of purebred chooks but have recently been thinking of experimenting with crossbred chicks

Currently I have three three week old speckled Sussex cross mottled brahma chicks

all three chicks are different colours (see attached pictures)

I was wondering what crossing them with a splash Australorp would yield
Any opinions on what colour/egg laying I could expect or has anyone done this?

Attachments

• IMG_2923.jpeg
    IMG_2923.jpeg
    531.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2922.jpeg
    IMG_2922.jpeg
    363.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2920.jpeg
    IMG_2920.jpeg
    387.7 KB · Views: 4
Do you have a picture of the parents?
Unfortunately I don’t, I only know that they were a speckled Sussex and mottled brahma
The lady I got the day olds from only hatches the eggs she gets off another lady
The three chicks I got were all different colours but the other three she had were all the same colour as the light one in the pictures

I believe brown, but I’d never heard of a brown mottled Brahma before, only black mottled, I did see some ‘speckled Brahma’ on google so I’m unsure if that’s what they mean or if there is in fact a brown mottled

I also would have thought that if it was a black mottled I would have black chicks as I’m under the impression that black is dominant so the red of the speckled Sussex would yield black chicks over a black mottled brahma, but I don’t know how the genes work with speckled/mottled chooks

I’m unsure of how the chicks would look but you’ll most likely get a chicken that lays light eggs since that’s what Australorps and speckled Sussex lay
The egg colour I think would be a given but I’m more curious on how the chook would look, I’ve heard splash over black will yield blue but I’m unsure how the mottle/speckled genes work and how the red of the chicks will factor in

Back
Top Bottom