Anyone have white leghorn rooster experience?

Here are some that are around the same age as yours. Leghorns develop faster than most other breeds. They start crowing sooner too. These are probably a little older there are two cockerels and a pullet.
20200630_095658.jpg

Another little cockerel.
20200630_095757.jpg

Here are some that are around the same age as yours. Leghorns develop faster than most other breeds. They start crowing sooner too. These are probably a little older there are two cockerels and a pullet.
View attachment 2590076
Another little cockerel.
View attachment 2590077
Thanks 😊 they are so pretty! Yeah I think they are a little ahead of mine but I’m really thinking sassy pullet now 😂 Because the comb is super small and not even a hint of pink. But I guess time will tell for certain. She/he is a little busybody but turning into a lap chicken I think! It has snuggled up and slept in my lap willingly a few times now.

Thanks 😊 they are so pretty! Yeah I think they are a little ahead of mine but I’m really thinking sassy pullet now 😂 Because the comb is super small and not even a hint of pink. But I guess time will tell for certain. She/he is a little busybody but turning into a lap chicken I think! It has snuggled up and slept in my lap willingly a few times now.
Most of the time they don't want to be handled but every now and then there will be one that doesn't mind.

Hi there! lll tell you a little bit about my experience with my leghorn rooster Omelet.I hatched him on 05 18 20. He was the tiniest one and was the only male in that hatch we got lucky lol but at that time we didn't know it yet. He was loved and cuddled every day. Veary winey little guy.He grew big so fast soo sweet until...............he wasn't. He got his hormones for sure and turned into a butthead for reals. Leghorns are known to turn veary agresive and i knew this becuse i was warned so i did extensive research on that breed so i tried to prepare. So far since his hormones started coming in the beginning he had bitten my face 3 times and flogged me twice.I had to keep putting the booger back in his place i didnt give up! spray bottle works wonders! but anyways i worked with him for a couple of weeks after that.Now he knows who is boss and who feeds him. He has not attacked me since i dont need the water bottle any more but he wont let anyone in the coop except me though.Im still working on him if anyone else is around they have to carry the spray bottle he takes one look at the bottle and walks away crowing as if throwing tantrum. Hes learning and still young. Hes about to turn a year old. He loves his hens and is a gentleman but he loves his little silkie rooster more. He throws a fit and crows and crows and will try to flogg anyone but me if they pick his silke roo up or take him out of the coop. He loves his little man more then his hens lol. 😆 Omelet and his silke roo are inseparable they cuddle every night.
Omlet when he was 4 wees old
20200604_230023.jpg
Omelet at 9 weeks old.The red didnt apear until 7-8 weeks
20200703_174655.jpg
Omelet Now as his booger self
20210118_011407.jpg
Omelet with his silkie rooster , Cookie monster who he loves more than his ladys (not joking) you can pick up his ladys but not his little man 🤣
20210131_123730.jpg

Just be aware that if he is a roo no matter how much love you give him or hold him as a baby they eventually turn into buttheads when you least expect it. Im talking about night and day sweet heart to butthead so you have to work with them. Ive read that most of them chill out after working with them like mine has. They are great with their hens Best of luck!!!

I have been very lucky that in all of my years having chickens I've only had a couple of asshole males that quickly went bye bye. I won't tolerate it. I do show my birds so prior to a show I handle them to get them used to being handled because the judges will. At one show, I don't recall the breed, the judges refused to judge a bird because it was very aggressive.

Good Evening, I had to look back to see what was going on when the chickes were 3 weeks old Last June https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/leghorns-have-been-the-easiest-chickens.1254494/page-26

rooster was bigger that the other chicks, he came with a green dot on his head, but if you look at the wing feathers you can defiantly tell if you have a rooster.View attachment 2588338
Leghorns are wired very smart. they were quick at doing exactly what chickens were wired to do. Roosters are wired with a job, they heard, they stop the hens from fighting, they tell the flock when to go in the coop, but I tell you. I have had buff Orpington roosters and this leg horn rooster is the BEST watch dog. You need to pick him up, talk to him. My rooster dost try and "flap me" but his spurs arnt very long and it really doesn't hurt, but you have to train them. i have a small kids rake and I use it to herd the chickens into the coop when I want them to go in, and I use it as a rooster blocker. I just hold it away from my body in-between him and me and it stops him from jumping me. But again he is doing his job, guarding his territory. I really like this rooster. He was just shy 3 days 8 week old and started crowing. So look back through me 2 Leghorn threads. One is for new chicks
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/leghorn-hens-what-wonderful-chickens.1297783/
and the other is for when they are grown.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/leghorn-hens-what-wonderful-chickens.1297783/
View attachment 2588349
😂 They’re in a dirt chicken yard but just a blinding brilliant white! Gorgeous chickens!

Back
Top Bottom