anyone heard of or know what to do for a hen that keeps throwing up?

Sunflower

Songster
12 Years
Apr 10, 2007
Berryton, KS
My 2 yr old hen keeps throwing up a slimy yellow muscusy fluid. I've been working with her since Tuesday and she is skin & bones. I can't get anywhere with her. She has been drinking some water w/ a powder terramycin dissovled but there has been no improvement.
She is also contorting her neck and head in weird positions, more so today than any other day. I wish I knew what to do for her.

1. Stands in one place for hours
2. Eyes are closed, feathers are puffed out some.
3. When eyes are open the pupils are dilated most of the time. Sometimes she "comes back" and they go back to normal, then she shuts them down again
4. Is not really pooping at all.
5. Never did see any bloody poop.
6. Other 9 chickens have no symptoms.
7. Insulated 6 x 8 coop, well-ventilated, deep litter method, heated water change 2x daily, feed is layer pellets and scratch, - supplement with leftovers every other day or so.
8. Use 1 heat light while temp is under 32, added another when temp goes around 15 & under.
crop is empty.
does not appear to be egg-bound.

Terramycin is yellow correct? I think that is what she is throwing up.

I'm sorry but I would cull her. Is she is skin and bones and she is not improving you are just allowing her last days to be agonizing.

Dilated pupils is a very bad sign.

Last edited:
She may also have Wry Neck. I've been working with my BO for weeks now. Try her on scrambled egg, with vitamin E poured over egg. I used one capsule 400 iu. This took a while to work but she stopped having neck spasms. I kept her in the house for two weeks before she was ready to go back outside and because of the extreme cold weather. She is doing great now. Please let me know how she does.

Thanks for your responses. She was throwing up yellow stuff for almost 2 days before I started her good on the antibiotic, and she seemed to be still throwing up all the time with no improvement. It was a bile-like substance.
However due to her still throwing up this morning and no improvements and the neck contorsions getting worse, we made the very, very sad decision to put her down at 6:30 am this morning.
I felt that since I don't know what is going on with her, it wasn't fair to keep trying to keep her alive when it could be something very serious & painful- I just can't speculate what it could have been when all the others in the flock are in excellent health.

Thanks again.
sad.png

I'm very sorry you had to do that but you did what was best for her and that's what's important. I'm sure she wasn't contagious, she just had something going on that she couldn't overcome. I've had it happen to me and it's frustrating not knowing what is happening. Again I'm sorry for your loss.

Take care of yourself.

Thanks, I REALLY appreciate the support. That was one of the hardest things I've done, even though in the long run I know it was for the best. Most people don't understand - it's just a chicken, they say. But it really does hurt to loose this one. She was very sweet and so smart and so funny to see her run across the yard. She was one strong and yet gentle chicken. (kind of like me!! lol)

So sorry for your loss. It's always heartbreaking to make that decision, but know you probably made the best one for her. Can I ask a hard question? How did you put her down? Again, so sorry for your sadness. Take joy in your other feathered family members!

Back
Top Bottom