Anyone Here from Southern New Jersey?

Hi SNJ!! Loooove your coop! I should hire you to make mine....will trade for crazy cat? What kind of chickens do you have? How long have you been a chicken person?

I do love my coop. It took longer to design than to build but I have everything I wanted for human convenience and hen comfort.

This is my 3rd year with my darling hens. I have a Cochin, 3 Spangled Hamburg, 1 Americauna and a RIR. The RIR is the youngest and she adopted me at a horse farm by flying onto my lap and refusing to leave me. That's her in my icon.

My Cochin goes broody every spring! In 2016 we are going to get some fertile eggs. DH made a broody coop that breaks down into a "flat pack" when I don't need it. I fence off 1/3 of the run to make a safe baby area.

Right now 3 hens are moulting. Feathers are EVERYWHERE. I've thought about inviting my neighbor who collects feathers over to the hen area but the number of feathers may alter her mind... permanently!

So glad to see posts to this thead! Would
Love to see photos of all your little chickies and feathered friends:) SNJ - could you post a picture of the fold up pen for your broody hens? I have been trying to figure out what type of pen to use. Erykah - you might try Craigslist to find local eggs or stop by a local farmarket and ask if they know of anyone also call local 4-H. This morning I was having my coffee on the porch listening to my rooster crowing and I look over to see him on the roof of our coop apparently trying to be a weathervane!

HELLO!!!! New to Chatsworth.... recently transplanted from Utah.

I had a healthy flock that a neighbor took over in Utah, but I am so excited to start a new flock here.

It will be some time before we are ready to start... but I am hoping someone could direct me in Fresh Eggs until we get our own.
Welcome to New Jersey!!!

I do love my coop.  It took longer to design than to build but I have everything I wanted for human convenience and hen comfort.

This is my 3rd year with my darling hens.  I have a Cochin, 3 Spangled Hamburg, 1 Americauna and a RIR.  The RIR is the youngest and she adopted me at a horse farm by flying onto my lap and refusing to leave me.  That's her in my icon.

My Cochin goes broody every spring!  In 2016 we are going to get some fertile eggs.  DH made a broody coop that breaks down into a "flat pack" when I don't need it.  I fence off 1/3 of the run to make a safe baby area.

Right now 3 hens are moulting.  Feathers are EVERYWHERE.  I've thought about inviting my neighbor who collects feathers over to the hen area but the number of feathers may alter her mind... permanently!
I love your coop!!!

If you look at the run part of my coop in the coop section, I just string some plastic "hardware cloth" across part of the run using hair clips to secure the fencing to the sides of the run (galvanized hardware cloth.) The broody coop itself is a custom design by DH. I can post a photo in the Spring when we put the coop together for hatching. I never thought to take a photo. I need something for my hens, describe it to DH and he designs/builds what I need.

For now the best photo I have of the broody coop is with the roof open looking down into it:

Wow Breezy!! I looove your weathervane!! I didn't even think about 4-H and I go to about 4 different local 4-H fairs every year!! (I used to have jet black hair-natural- now that I am a little bit older, it is stark platinum white! I think I lost my brains with the jet black hair!! or it could be age, who knows, I'm just a bit ditzy from time to time!!) I am learning a lot about chickens - I know so little about chickens - I am very excited about getting chickens and so far, our guineas have been a blast for us. All 2 weeks!!! We are hoping to become expert chicky parents!

I forgot to reply to the crazy cat trade: I have three rescue Bengals so I've really got enough crazy in my life. I quite literally have paw prints on my ceiling and I have to be careful when I shut doors because they like to perch on the tops of doors!

omg!!! I loooove Bengals, they are a gorgeous cat breed! I have 4 indoor cats, 3 outside cats and a rescue dog - Italian Greyhound that was formerly abused.

Back
Top Bottom