Anyone here have an insulin pump?

Chickerdoodle13

The truth is out there...
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Finally, after years and years of trying to go on the insulin pump, I was able to get it. I still have only saline in it, but I am scheduled on July 7th to switch over to insulin.

I just can't believe how convenient this is compared to the shots! I have always had a high A1C, but it took switching endocrinologists to finally get moving on a pump. I don't think I will ever go back to injections! I am really excited about started the pump full time.

I'm interested to hear about anyone else's experiences with it! I've been a Type 1 diabetic for 14 years now and I have struggled for YEARS to get my blood sugar to a reasonable level. Just seemed like the doctors never wanted to help. They only yelled at me for the hundred things I was doing wrong, rather than pointing out what I needed to do right!

Hopefully I will also be going on Symlin to help control my weight. That is another thing I have struggled with for years, and I'm hoping the combination of symlin and the pump will aid me greatly!

Good luck with it CD. Diabetes is a tough thing for a young woman to have to deal with.
hugs.gif

My Dad has had one for a couple of years now, it's WAYYYY more convenient. You do have to be careful not to kink the tubing, however. They had a rough night once before after that happened.

Anyway, he loves it, it's convenient, and so much easier than having to have injections three (sometimes FOUR) times a day!!!

My daughter has Type 1 for 3 years now. We haven't gone on the pump yet, but I'm looking into which one the insurance company will cover. I really like the Omni Pod. No tubing to get kinked. Which pump do you have?

I know a couple of people who have them and make sure you check your levels regularly because with the pump it can bring your levels down fast. A doctor that I work with has them and his level gets really low at times. It is a lot easier for people and most people like them. But like i said just make sure your check your levels regularly. My brother also has diabeties and his doctors did not want him to have it. They were worried that he would get an infection because of what he does. I think that it might be a good option for him sometime down the road.
Good luck with it and hope that everything works out for you.

Elfy,

I definitely recommend the pump for your daughter. It will be sooo much better in the long run! I dealt with shots since I was 5 years old and it was terrible and it's also difficult to control the blood sugars adequately. I really wish I had been started on the pump as a kid! Would have saved me years of struggle@

Anyways, I have the medtronic minimed and I just love it. I did look at several others though and I even got a chance to play around with them at my educator's office. I did see the omnipod, but I didn't think it would fit under my clothing nicely.

It's actually harder than one thinks to get the tubing kinked. I have yet to kink it and I've been fooling around with it because it is only saline in the pump right now. One of my nurse educators said she actually bit the tubing on hers (when she was testing it out) and could not kink the link. The only thing you have to watch is that the tubing does not get caught on anything, but it is short enough to just stuff into your pants or in a pocket.

Animaes is a brand that you might want to look into for your daughter. How old is she? Typically that pump is for younger kids. If she is a bit older, I would recommend the minimed and insurance usually covers that pretty well. It also comes with a BG monitor that links up to the pump so when you test your blood sugar, the reading is sent right to the pump and it corrects automatically.

Let me know if you have further questions! I'm still learning about the pump, but I would be more than willing to answer other questions about diabetes and my experiences!

She is 9. She has not mentioned anything about the pump in a long time. We are friends with another diabetes family and her daughter is having problems with it right now. One night she dropped so low that she was talking about angels visiting but they wouldn't let her go with them.
ep.gif

My daughter is going to Diabetes camp this year. She will more and liking be coming home talking about the pump then.

Back
Top Bottom