Anyone here have game hens/game hen mixes?

GAFarmGirl87

Songster
6 Years
Apr 27, 2013
NW Georgia
Hi everyone. My current flock has 4 game hens, 3 of which I think are game mixes. I'm also about to get a game rooster & a few more game hens, which will be completely free range.

I don't know much about game hens, except they are very broody, good mothers, very protective, and self-sufficient. I can't find much info online, and so I'm asking any game hen owners to share your knowledge and experience on this "breed."

Thanks in advance!

Congrats on your new game fowl !! They are an exciting breed ......... you need to be careful when bringing in new hens as they will sometimes fight a strange hen and could ruin each other , so be on guard when adding new ones . It's especially difficult when adding new game hen/hens to a pen/cage of your game hens that you already have as they will fight (99% for sure) but there is always a slim chance they won't(don't count on it) .
I feel you know roosters will fight each other(and sometimes will knock a hen around-shaking my head-be sure to saw the roosters spurs down to about 1/2 inch if they are pointed and sharp) ....... you can not even pen game roosters where the cages are next to each other . If they can find a peephole to see other rooster they will fight and can damage themselves badly . It so bad and discouraging to find game fowl damaged from this kind of activity .

On free range predators are always present even if we can't see them , they usually show up when we are not there or at night . But there is nothing as good as free ranging if you can be so lucky and have no problems .

Glad to help in anyway ,
Shannon Nelson(60 years w/gamefowl)

Thank you for the info Shannon! I will make certain to keep the new gamefowl separated from my current flock.

Any advice on egg production/color?
Also, in your experience, when have your game hens started laying?
When free-ranging, are you usually able to find most of the eggs they lay?

Egg production is about normal with the average chickens . With free range it will difficult to find where they are laying and once they have laid from 10-16 they will start to set and you won't see her for about three weeks unless you happen to be around when she comes off the nest each day for food and water .
They can start laying at about 4 or 5 months up to to 7 or 8 months . Eggs are usually white or off white .

Best to You ,
Shannon

Thank you for the info Shannon! I will make certain to keep the new gamefowl separated from my current flock.

Any advice on egg production/color?
Also, in your experience, when have your game hens started laying?
When free-ranging, are you usually able to find most of the eggs they lay?

Egg production is about normal with the average chickens . With free range it will difficult to find where they are laying and once they have laid from 10-16 they will start to set and you won't see her for about three weeks unless you happen to be around when she comes off the nest each day for food and water .
They can start laying at about 4 or 5 months up to to 7 or 8 months . Eggs are usually white or off white .

Best to You ,
Shannon
That's good to know. Thank you so much for the information!!

So, my new game birds have been here less than 24 hours, and already I've got 3 eggs from my 3 hens! They all went into the lean-to and laid their eggs in the same spot. Now I know where to put the nesting box
lol.png
I'm tickled to death! These game birds are going to be great layers!!

Back
Top Bottom