Anyone here who won't eat cage eggs?!

I have only bought them... twice?? in the last 2 years since my hens started laying. And usually it's mainly for a recipe that I want to make and the rest just sit there and go bad b/c I can't bring myself to eat them or serve them to my kids. DH, who used to not care at all, can't even eat them anymore. I don't even want to know the details... that would probably totally ruin me. Food, Inc. was bad enough!

Cage eggs?

You do know "Cage Free" eggs are just as bad, right?
wink.png

I haven't touched, bought, or eaten an egg that wasn't from my own flock in 3 years.

Last edited:
I do not eat factory farmed eggs nor do I eat any factory farmed meat. I have been off of it since December of 2010. It essentially renders me a vegetarian but I don't care.

We have populated the planet with folks that have no clue how to do for themselves if they could not go to a grocery or fast food joint....

Farmers had to adjust to be able to keep up with demand and still make a profit, many failed doing it the old way and could not compete in all ends of it from grains to beef and yes eggs.

Large outfits now produce a large percentage of what is supplied and cut all corners possible to be able to compete and this means less space, cheaper ways to feed, and transport products.

Without these horrible conditions many speak of food would be very high priced and hard to get sometimes....

Not eating or buying battery hen eggs makes no difference if you eat chicken, beef, pork, etc. as very often they too are kept in what many would call deplorable conditions. It is how it has to be done so you don't have to wait in line at a grocery store for food with all the people that can't grow their own and that is MOST OF THEM

Many though just call it farming...

Those of us that grow food and raise animals for food most times do it to improve the quality and give better living conditions to our animals and that is great! I do it too...

But someone has to feed the masses of folks that have no clue across this country and that is battery farms and penned animal farms....

Yes I will buy those eggs if I am out, but can't remember the last time and I do eat at restaurants now and then... Mmmmmmmm grand slam at Denny's

So don't blame the farmers or farm corporations fow growing the food the most efficient way they can while still staying within the law....

Blame the hungry if you want to point a finger and without this type farming things would be very expensive and often not available but to first come first serve.

Ya just got to be able to see all sides before jumping into a box in my opinion just because we care for our animals in a different way does not mean it is the only way.

Heck I had a email from a member here a while back saying my opinion was horrible and my birds must be very sad because we don't treat them as she thought we should, as pets.

We have well cared for livestock kept for production and that is not bad in my opinion and though I would never run a battery farm I will not condem them either as long as they are run within the guidelines set by the industry.

There are many options and organic farms for those of us that prefer this food, but most just don't care and want eggs, beef, pork, and other foods when they walk into a store and many never even connect their food with where it was grown or raised.

Well I bet I get a littl flack from this, but it is only my opinion..... FWIW

Edit to fix:

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, be sure you understand the laws for the the label saying "Cage Free" it's not as great as the label suggest.
I thankfully have so many hens now that I always have some eggs for me, and I have a good friend who has my back as well.

To southerndesert, the majority of the world does NOT eat meat 7 days a week, many only eat ONE meal a week with meat in it. Having to have your meat and potatoes is a very North American ideal and it is ridiculous. We are slowly destroying the planet because some people don't know what else to make. It's called a vegetable. I eat maybe one meal every few weeks with real meat in it, the rest of the time I eat just vegetables and occasionally fish. A few days ago I went to the blood donor clinic and was told I had perfect iron before I donated. Humans are ominivores, they do not need meat every single day just to complete a meal. MacDonald's is cutting down rain forests so that everyone can have their happy meal and it's disgusting. You can yield MORE food per square mile by planting crops like lentils (which Canada I believe is the largest producer of in the world) than you can by farming cattle in that same square mile. We could literally feed MORE people if we stopped eating meat so much.

And yes, I do sometimes buy local but I'm pretty content to eat my veggies and my fish (I live in village on the North Atlantic, so lots of fish here) and I go to a local pub/inn that has amazing food and gets all their beef local! Then I treat myself to a cheeseburger!

Hmmm just last night I was at trader joes and I turned to my husband and said "please explain to me why I'm buying eggs!". I always make sure they are free range eggs (I'm hoping that's not false advertising). My first BA was animal science where I experienced first hand the life of commercially grown animals- it would make even the roughest toughest meat and potatoes guy go vegetarian!! So no I never buy caged eggs for the sake of those poor girls! I'm hoping to not buy ANY eggs at some point - but only one girl is laying so far and they are still little baby eggs.

Quote:
This was very well said, until the greater population understands where their food comes from and how it is made, nothing will change.
While I have been buying my eggs and meat from a local farm for years, I just can't get over the fact that many of my friends just don't understand... or care to understand. I believe everyone should be a locavore..buy local, buy organic!

Back
Top Bottom