Anyone impatiently waiting for your baby chicks to arrive?!?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kadu, Jan 26, 2015.

1. nj2wv

nj2wv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Lost Creek ,WV
    I give them all the same feed. Dumor starter grower. I heard if you give the CX less protein and feed meals instead of all day food access then they don't have the health issues. I have three week old CX from Meyer and I am doing that and they are active like normal chicks. They don't lay around all day.
    Also I looked through a chicken catalogue and it looks like I bought bearded porcelain d'uccle bantam and not Cochin. Still cute though. Have to check as more feathers grow.

2. Kadu

Kadu Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Fayetteville, AR
    I think they should be fine [​IMG]

They're pretty good at adjusting for heat and they know to eat and drink... =) You might have to clean some poopy butts when you go home though =D

Hope you get to go home early though =) Good Luck!

3. nj2wv

nj2wv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Lost Creek ,WV
    I
    I would use it but I am the wrong person to ask because when it comes to chickens I am an enabler.
    I am using my refund from ideal poultry to buy more chicks at tractor supply.

4. chasiekitten12

chasiekitten12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    I have a question. Do I use medicated or unmedicated feed as chicks? What do you prefer? I was thinking medicated grower and starter but unmedicated as they grow up?

5. ladybead

ladybead Out Of The Brooder

Thank you very much for the advice. Luckily I work from home so I will be able to keep a close eye on them. [​IMG]

6. LeanneP

LeanneP Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    Kenansville, NC
    If you had your chicks vaccinated, DON'T use medicated feed because they will cancel each other out.

7. Sarahal88

Sarahal88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2014

You were right! I cam home a little early to find 11 thriving little chicks. The Light Brahma chicks are my favorite. The are SO fulffy. You can already tell a big difference in fluffyness compared to the others, and they have feathery feet already. But I love them all. And my one little surviving Welsummer chick looks like a chipmunk, so cute.

2 people like this.
  8. LeanneP

LeanneP Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    Kenansville, NC
    See, what happened was...
    Our last order's "Free chick" was a slash blue cochin male. His name is Fluffy. Well, I got some chicks for my goddaughter in this order as well as ours. I ordered 2 blue cochin females. I'm sure I have them, but one of them is dark, (which is what I want) but the other one is splash and looks EXACTLY like Fluffy did when he was a baby. Wellllll...hubby wants her, but he can't have her because she is going to my goddaughter because she's the only one I know FOR SURE is a blue...

9. Kadu

Sep 11, 2014
    Fayetteville, AR
    Here's my D'uccle from TSC. =D I think she's a mille fleur. So cute. She's only a week old and has feathers on the feet.

[​IMG]

Thank you for the info. I'm going to get 10 or 15 Cornish Xs from TSC tomorrow. I'll just put them in with the others so they can eat the normal feed.

[​IMG]

10. Kadu

Sep 11, 2014
    Fayetteville, AR
    oooh that's exciting! I have a wellsummer egg in the incubator I really really hope it hatches! =D wellsummer roosters are pretty too!

I skipped out on light brahmas this time =( maybe I shouldn't have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by