Anyone impatiently waiting for your baby chicks to arrive?!?!

I got my first shipment of chicks from My Pet Chicken mid-January. Of course it went from 60 degree weather to below freezing when they were expected to arrive, so I lost a few--two DOA, two the next day, and one the third day. No problems with reimbursement for the first four (didn't ask re:fifth chick since it was past their obligation). So now I've got 21 three week old chicks in my basement brooders (ordered 25, one packing peanut). I have 6 BO, 2 Dominiques, 3 NHR, 2 White Plymouth Rocks, 2 BR, and 6 Golden Buff. All supposed to be pullets. I lost all the Speckled Sussex and my BAs didn't hatch (they subbed in the BRs and some BOs).

Was *planning* on giving some of the BOs and GBs to a friend for her coop after they feathered out since all her hens have aged out of laying, but...we'll just have to see...

Have another shipment coming 5/9 from the same place. Added some BAs and SSs to it since I really did want them, but otherwise it's just a smorgasboard of breeds. Focused the first shipment on good docile layers to get eggs the soonest, but a lot from this later shipment will be less prolific, probably more broody or flighty, and include a few cockerels.

I also have a shipment of three Toulouse geese and 15 guineas (5 each pearl, lavender, and royal purple) coming from Cackle Hatchery mid-summer.

This is the first time I've had land enough to have poultry and I may have gone a little overboard so I am really glad that I've found BYC to supplement all the other reading/researching I've been doing!

Just order 15 chicks (New Hampshire Reds, Barred Rocks and White Rocks) to add to my flock. Going to get them the beginning of May so I can brood them in the coop rather than the basement (hate the dust). I usually get them from Meyers, but they wanted over $40 to ship. So, I went with McMurray's for $17 shipping.

We have 25 buff brahmas coming the 26th, first time chicken raisers. Brooder almost ready, coop and run still in design phase.

Excited to see how the great chicken experiment goes.

One each of the babies crested female mallard,porcelain d'uccle, and sebright

I just placed an order today from McMurray!

All pullets (hopefully)
3 Ameraucanas
3 Silver Spangled Hamburgs
3 Speckled Sussex
3 Blue Andalusians
2 Salmon Favorelles
1 White Cochin
& one rare exotic surprise!

I did not want any substitutions so the ETA for my chicks is the week of May 22nd! Patience is not my strong point!

congratulations! :) I thought I'd have to wait long! my hatch and ship date is April 11th! it seems like I'm waiting 4 ever!! lol!my prayers are they arrive healthy and alive! I'm a worried mother!! :)

my chicks should hopefuly be here in the morning if their travel goes like every other order from Ideal for me...cant wait to see them and hope they travel ok.

will post pics once their here!

my chicks should hopefuly be here in the morning if their travel goes like every other order from Ideal for me...cant wait to see them and hope they travel ok.

will post pics once their here!

Fingers crossed for you,
I lost the majority of mine due to the cold. If yours are large fowl they should be fine, most of mine were bantams except my crested chickies they arrived safe and sound... Ideal was very helpful and got my re-ship date and everything sorted quickly.

Back
Top Bottom