Anyone in Beloit WI have chickens? Question about the law.

We are in Beloit and don't have chickens but are very interested. We would love to connect to see about getting the city to pass an ordinance.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Sure that would be fine. Where do you live in Beloit? I currently have chickens at my grandparents house out in the country. That has been fairly convient for me so I haven't looked at moving them to my house. I did have a council member tell me that he had thought it was a good idea and wanted me to contact him. But with my work schedule and already havining a home for my chickens I haven't worried about it much. Also there was another younger guy running for council that I talked to about urban chickens and he seemed all for it and was suprised I was the only one who asked. He won...the election but I forgot his name....... I had chickens at my moms with a 3/4 acre lot for a good 3 months. The neighbors thought it was cool and liked them but someone who doesn't even live on the same block called the cops so I had to have them removed. Long story.... I will tell you about it some time.

The councilmember might have voted no as a result of the discussion on the topic. Possible reasons are: cost of enforcement, inability to enforce, need to undertake revision of zoning laws as they apply to animals, and misinterpretation of state law. Having lived in Madison myself for 10 years, I can also imagine the "we're not Madison" attitude playing a role.

It sounds like you've started what can be a very productive dialogue with officials in your area. Continue to know these people, learn their points of view and work *with* them. Keep working with other chickenfolk in your area. A constructive and inclusive process that results in a consensus is a win-win for all involved.

I know this is an old thread but im sure you now know we can have chickens in beloit and probably because you started it all! hope you got your four, cuz i got my baby chickeys :)

Back
Top Bottom