Anyone in PA that can tell me about NPIP

ourfluffybutthut

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2023
I'm in PA and have read everything I could find about NPIP certification through the Dept of Agriculture. However, it doesn't specify any requirements as far as the runs and coups are concerned. It gives biosecurity meausures and such but nothing specific. I've seen other people talk about their state requires the chickens can't have a dirt run, run must be covered, etc. but I don't see specifics like this listed for PA.

So, I'm asking anyone who has gone through the NPIP process for Pennsylvania to enlighten me on what PA is looking for and what your experience was. Yes, I have emailed requesting more information but who knows how long I'll wait for a reply. Thank you all in advance ☺️

I'm not in PA but MO. State regs are different in this national program but as far as I know, there is no such rule about runs and coops.
The fastest way to get an official answer is to call them. I always get an answer here when I call with a question.
717-783-6897
717-783-6677.

You might want to post again here to get someone in PA to respond.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pennsylvania-unite.248345/page-8225

Call your county's Penn State Extension office. They will put you in touch with one of the Extension Educators on the Poultry Team. Or message me your contact info and I can send it along (I work for Penn State Extension)
Thank you so much. Nan Henshaw from the Animal Heath Division actually got back with me way quicker than I thought. She sent all the paperwork and information I need. However, I was kinda looking for some personal experience and maybe some tips from someone who has gone through the process and inspection. Contact from an extention educator would be great as well as I know they would have great input. I'm just a nervous Nelly worrying about the whole thing and what if I get something wrong or don't pass. Lol. Anxiety gets the best of me!!

As mentioned, the national program, being administered by states, each state is a bit different in the procedure.
Some states require a percentage of all birds on the property to be tested. In still others, like MO, every bird over 4 months of age must be tested.
It is pretty simple and goes as fast as you can bring the birds to the tester. Here, all commercial farms either do their own testing or there are state testers that do those. For small holders, like me, one person does all farms in the state.
Some states have a process for training the poultryman to allow them to do their own birds.
My tester sets up at a table I provide for his equipment. Basically it is nothing more than a glass plate and a reagent that reacts to the presence of disease antibodies. They lift the wing and pluck a few feathers from the underside of the wing to create a bald spot. They have a tool that will prick a vein/artery causing it to bleed a bit. The tool has a wire ring to pick up a sample of blood. They put a drop of the reagent on the glass and smear it with the blood. If there are antibodies, the sample will separate a bit. If no associated disease is present, it will remain as a consistent fluid.
It helps to have numbered wing bands or leg bands so they can keep track of each bird tested.
How many birds do you have to test?
A friend of mine used to help. One of us would catch the birds in each coop and hand it out to the other who would carry the bird to the tester. Then we release the bird immediately after taking the blood sample.
My birds are wild and can't be caught when outside. So I would leave the birds locked up in the morning till each was tested.

As mentioned, the national program, being administered by states, each state is a bit different in the procedure.
Some states require a percentage of all birds on the property to be tested. In still others, like MO, every bird over 4 months of age must be tested.
It is pretty simple and goes as fast as you can bring the birds to the tester. Here, all commercial farms either do their own testing or there are state testers that do those. For small holders, like me, one person does all farms in the state.
Some states have a process for training the poultryman to allow them to do their own birds.
My tester sets up at a table I provide for his equipment. Basically it is nothing more than a glass plate and a reagent that reacts to the presence of disease antibodies. They lift the wing and pluck a few feathers from the underside of the wing to create a bald spot. They have a tool that will prick a vein/artery causing it to bleed a bit. The tool has a wire ring to pick up a sample of blood. They put a drop of the reagent on the glass and smear it with the blood. If there are antibodies, the sample will separate a bit. If no associated disease is present, it will remain as a consistent fluid.
It helps to have numbered wing bands or leg bands so they can keep track of each bird tested.
How many birds do you have to test?
A friend of mine used to help. One of us would catch the birds in each coop and hand it out to the other who would carry the bird to the tester. Then we release the bird immediately after taking the blood sample.
My birds are wild and can't be caught when outside. So I would leave the birds locked up in the morning till each was tested.

Thank you for that detailed reply. I only have a little over 30 birds in 2 coups. I think leaving them in from the night before is a good idea. I'm just curious how strict they are on biosecurity perimeters and such for backyard flocks. 🤔 I have all the paperwork to fill out and am almost done with my written biosecurity plan. Hoping to turn in paperwork this week.

i'm in FL, but my experiences are very similar to @ChickenCanoe 's. I set up a table, a trash can, a guy shows up in his truck, stops outside my pasture. Suits up, grabs his box, sets up on my table. When I had 40 birds or less, every bird over 4 months gets tested - and yes, it helps to have them cooped up in a way you can release one at a time.

When I had almost 100 birds, there was some minimum number tested plus some additional number based n my total number of birds.

When he's done, I sign my paperwork, he gets out of his protective gear, and it goes in my trash can - I later burn it. A few days later, I get an email saying I passed my test. The plate test (blood drop, reagent, glass) I know results before he leaves property. The throat swab is the one I wait on.

and I've had no issues w/ biosecurity questions/review, even though I free range mine, and the obviously ignore the electric fence. I had more biosecurity and process questions when I got my FL Limited Egg and Poultry License.

Back
Top Bottom