Anyone in WV???

I had a run in with a hawk so now I only have 4 birds right now. Three cochin bantams and one silkie. I am participating in a New Years hatch and hope to add a few more cochins to my flock.
smile.png
What does your flock consist of?

Well let's see:
I started off buying 7 chicks on June 3rd at a petting Zoo set up for West Union Days (a town celebration), then when I went to Tractor Supply to get feed for them there was an animal swap going on and I fell in love with two little black chicks ( they were supposed to be Barred Rocks), are you keeping count? That's 9!!! Well of that 9, 5 were roosters! So after I was absolutely certain they were I was back at the animal swap ( down to 4 now...but not for long) I traded my Roos for four other birds two were RIR pullets (lol) and two were already laying Easter Eggers. So that brought me up to 8 again. In July I ordered 4 Red Sexlink pullets from Southern States (they weren't delivered til September) in the mean time I was given 5 (2yr old) hens by a neighbor, then a distant family member found out there is a city ordinance against chickens within city limits so she brought her two Australop hens to me. Did you keep count? Lol. Now wait there's more... The last week there have been three others hens show up here ( I can't have the poor things starve, so Ive taken them "under my wing" too. Oh but those two RIR pullets I got the second trip to the animal swap...turned out to be roosters!!! Sold one, kept one. So let's see that means I have Two White leghorn/speckled Sussex cross hens, Two Black Sexlink ( the ones they passed off as Barted rock chicks) hens, 9 red sexlinks (4 pullets, 5 hens), Two Black Australop hens, two Eater Eggers Hens, a RIR rooster, a California White hen, A barred Rock Hen and a Speckled Sussex hen. Roflmao. That means I guess I have 21 chickens, oh and I just ordered 15 white Leghorn Chicks for a friend for Christmas they r in incubator now. Will b here on the 21 or 23 of Dec so I hope her brooder is ready or I'll have them here too. Eeeeek I must be crazy! Lol

Well let's see:
I started off buying 7 chicks on June 3rd at a petting Zoo set up for West Union Days (a town celebration), then when I went to Tractor Supply to get feed for them there was an animal swap going on and I fell in love with two little black chicks ( they were supposed to be Barred Rocks), are you keeping count? That's 9!!! Well of that 9, 5 were roosters! So after I was absolutely certain they were I was back at the animal swap ( down to 4 now...but not for long) I traded my Roos for four other birds two were RIR pullets (lol) and two were already laying Easter Eggers. So that brought me up to 8 again. In July I ordered 4 Red Sexlink pullets from Southern States (they weren't delivered til September) in the mean time I was given 5 (2yr old) hens by a neighbor, then a distant family member found out there is a city ordinance against chickens within city limits so she brought her two Australop hens to me. Did you keep count? Lol. Now wait there's more... The last week there have been three others hens show up here ( I can't have the poor things starve, so Ive taken them "under my wing" too. Oh but those two RIR pullets I got the second trip to the animal swap...turned out to be roosters!!! Sold one, kept one. So let's see that means I have Two White leghorn/speckled Sussex cross hens, Two Black Sexlink ( the ones they passed off as Barted rock chicks) hens, 9 red sexlinks (4 pullets, 5 hens), Two Black Australop hens, two Eater Eggers Hens, a RIR rooster, a California White hen, A barred Rock Hen and a Speckled Sussex hen. Roflmao. That means I guess I have 21 chickens, oh and I just ordered 15 white Leghorn Chicks for a friend for Christmas they r in incubator now. Will b here on the 21 or 23 of Dec so I hope her brooder is ready or I'll have them here too. Eeeeek I must be crazy! Lol
LOL It is like an addiction!! I can tell ya. =) I ordered 15 chicks in July. (cochin bantams) Out of the 15 I had 12 roosters!! I found homes for some, 3 went into a soup pot. THEN the hawk found us. =( He got two hens leaving me with one. I thought I had it taken care of, so then my sister in law gave me 3 silkies. Less than a week later he got 2 of those. So, they are on halk lockdown. LOL Until I can get a bigger coop and covered run built.
It is so hard here to find anyone getting rid of chickens, or even selling chickens. I LOVE my small chickens. I had barred rock chickens last fall but sold them to my cousin. I swore those where the last ones, but I couldn't do without chickens!! So I thought smaller bodied chickens I could keep more like I wanted so here I am. I have a pair of Birchen Cochin Bantams, one Partridge Cochin bantam rooster and a lavender silkie pullet. When I get this new coop built I will have room for atleast 30 and I will have them. LOL

Definitely a addiction! Love my birds! Everybody in my family think I'm crazy but where else could I get all that love and attention, and give it in return! At least they give me something for my attention to them besides a hard time! My husband doesn't support my "habit", it takes my time away from waiting hand and foot on him. Lol ewww do I sound bitter. Hehehe. Glad I have my girls I'd go crazy without them!

Back
Top Bottom