Anyone in WV???

Well I have both blue swedish and cayuga ducks but they are together so the chicks would be a cross. I could possibly separate them if you want just blue swedish. I get three duck eggs a day. I'm located in Summersville. I don't know the going rate on eggs but does $3/ egg sound ok?

I wanted to get some opinions on flogging roosters. I have eight Buff Orpington hens and one rooster that I have raised from chicks. They were held daily by myself and my 3 yr old. They are now 7 months old and the rooster has tried to flog both myself and my 3 yr old several times. I got this breed because I heard they were docile. The hens are wonderful but the roo is not. This is my first time owning chickens so I don't have much experience. Is this something he may "grow" out of? Or will he always be a flogger?I would like to raise chicks so I would like to have a rooster. I'm trying to find another but have not had much luck plus even though he is cranky I'm kinda attached to him. But he is big enough that he knocks my son down so I can't keep him if he continues to do this.

I wanted to get some opinions on flogging roosters. I have eight Buff Orpington hens and one rooster that I have raised from chicks. They were held daily by myself and my 3 yr old. They are now 7 months old and the rooster has tried to flog both myself and my 3 yr old several times. I got this breed because I heard they were docile. The hens are wonderful but the roo is not. This is my first time owning chickens so I don't have much experience. Is this something he may "grow" out of? Or will he always be a flogger?I would like to raise chicks so I would like to have a rooster. I'm trying to find another but have not had much luck plus even though he is cranky I'm kinda attached to him. But he is big enough that he knocks my son down so I can't keep him if he continues to do this.

There is a way to remove his spurs so he doesn't do too much damage. I'll find out from my neighbor how she does it. I've read (somewhere on here???) that if you grab him and hold him to the ground until he stops thrashing it shows him that YOU are the dominant "Roo". (Lol) You may have to do this a couple times to get your point across but it's supposed to work. If your son is strong enough he too can do it and it will stop that Roo in his tracks. I hope it works for you.

Thank you. I'll try holding him down.. I've read a little about removing the spurs also. Doesn't sound like much fun for me or him, lol. He doesn't have much of a spur right now so maybe I can teach him to behave before he gets a big spur.

Try this link, post #34.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-this-rooster-becomes-dinner/30#post_12626931

Also never a good idea to cuddle young roosters due to how male birds imprint..cuddle the hens, not the roos....good article on male animals and the trouble with imprinting: http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/herdmed/applied-ethology/Bottle-raised males can be very dangerous.pdf

Quote:
surrogate mothers and then later in life w
ill direct their sexual behaviour towards the
surrogate species. If humans become the su
rrogate species it creates a potentially
dangerous situation. When the male reach
es sexual maturity, in addition to his
misdirected attraction, he will ha
ve bouts of male aggression
that he will direct against
his human “competition”.

Try this link, post #34. 

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-this-rooster-becomes-dinner/30#post_12626931

Also never a good idea to cuddle young roosters due to how male birds imprint..cuddle the hens, not the roos....good article on male animals and the trouble with imprinting:  http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/herdmed/applied-ethology/Bottle-raised males can be very dangerous.pdf

This is great information. Thank you. It makes perfect sense when said like this. I'll be starting my rooster training immediately and hope I can become the "dominant roo" :)

T

Try this link, post #34. 

Also never a good idea to cuddle young roosters due to how male birds imprint..cuddle the hens, not the roos....good article on male animals and the trouble with imprinting:  http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/herdmed/applied-ethology/Bottle-raised males can be very dangerous.pdf

The point to remember is that orphan males of most species will imprint onto their
surrogate mothers and then later in life w
ill direct their sexual behaviour towards the
surrogate species. If humans become the su
rrogate species it creates a potentially
dangerous situation. When the male reach
es sexual maturity, in addition to his
misdirected attraction, he will ha
ve bouts of male aggression
that he will direct against
his human “competition”.

[/quote

Thx Bee didn't know this. Good information!
As Usual from you! : D

Back
Top Bottom