Anyone interested in a Shelty pup?

BarbK

Songster
12 Years
Aug 6, 2007
Indiana
My friend didn't listen to me about shelties not being right for her. She went and got TWO 6 month old shelty pups. Now she can't handle them and wants to get rid of them.
Is there anyone in Indiana or western Ohio that wants a shelty? She is thinking of letting them go super cheap-free. If you do send me a message and I can get you more info.

I would take one or both but I recently lost my shelty (I don't think I could handle looking into a face that looks so similar yet) and I have a problem dog that I got from the same friend because she couldn't handle her.

If the breeder won't take them back (all reputable breeders will take their puppies back any time in the dog's life, no questions asked), encourage your friend to turn them over to a reputable Sheltie Rescue so they can be rehomed.

Amy

She got them from a backyard breeder and she wants to know who they go to so she won't turn them over to rescue. I am so ready to strangle her. For their sake I am going to try and help her find them a home.

I wan't a shelty again but I am not quite ready yet. When I can think about my baby without wanting to cry then I will get another.
Barbandlasey.jpg

That is a beautiful photo. Is that the shelty you had?

I just wanted to share that I had a horse that I loved dearly. I never thought I would going to be able to get over her. In fact to this day if I think about her too much I will cry. I highly doubt that I will ever be "over her," but I did find another horse that I love almost as much. Abby is a great horse, and she does help fill part of the space that Hope once did.

Good luck finding homes for the two little ones.

Oh do not get me started on backyard breeders. I help with the Newfie Rescue here in my hometown when I can and I get so infuriated with people who think that they are going to make money off of breeding animals. A good breeder will never become rich off of them because they are always re-investing in their quality of genetic stock, vet bills, x-rays, cardiologists and opthalmologists. Trust me I know.....I wish you well and hope that you can find homes for the dog or dogs that your friend seems to want to buy on impulse. Not trying to offend anyone, I just hate to see dogs shuffeled around because people don't completely think through all the good and the bad that comes with dog ownership.

I second that notion! Phooooey on backyard puppy mill breeders...we used to raise SQ show Collies and boy, you just can not believe how many people got rid of their "bad" collies.....AND they think they can cash in the "Lassie" image...not all dogs are that way!

We used to have a tri color Sheltie but I despise him, yappy thing! I'd rather stick with collies for thier disposition, great with kids and size wise.

My uncle used to raise Newfies too before he got a divorce...these were show dogs....I think his kennel name was Bear Trax out in Missouri. Lovely dogs, man, they are awesome but the slobber is something else LOL! They also did a little rescue on their end too.

Good job on your Newfie rescue!

I grew up with Shelties. They're great dogs.

I'm not sure about your area but Shelties are in high demand here.
The rescues are extremely strict about who they let adopt them.
In fact many rescues have become dog brokers, not rescuers. That's
not a criticism it's just a reality. There is a HUGE demad for smaller
dogs. Try and adopt a Westie. Ha - Good Luck. Shelties are the same.

Larger dogs are hard to rehome. Don't get me goin on that.

Call a rescue or two. You may be amazed how fast those dogs are
snatched up.

If your friend goes on the AKC Website (akc.org) she can get a link to the National Sheltie club's site and they will probably have a list of rescues she can contact. That being said...

Rescues are volunteer organisation that are run by people who have a true passion for their breed. I was the director of a Siberian Husky Rescue for over 10 years until I found myself in a state of "overwhelm". Please remind your friend that she is the one who should take responsibiliy for her dogs - impulse purchase or not. The dogs are not at fault and the rescues have their hands full already. If she does use a rescue to place them, please remind her that they are generally funded by donations and are constantly having to run various fund-raisers. It is the only way that the rescues can afford to help the dogs that they place. I'm sure that they would greatly appreciate a donation.

You sound like a wonderful friend to try to help your friend. Good luck to you, your friend and especially her dogs.

Quote:
Thanks! I raise and breed Newfies and you have to love the breed. It's purely a labor of love. Long sleepless nights, loads of laundry, tons of trash and enough dog food to feed a third world country (just kidding, they only eat 4 cups per day per dog). Not to mention the hours of brushing, innoculating, worming, bathing and constantly looking at the baby montior to make sure everyone is ok. And that's before 10am...lol. I would be more than happy to let anyone step in my shoes while they pay for the DNA & Cystinuria tests or having the Pinn Hipping done for the hips, elbows & patellas. Some would have a heart attack (no punn intended here) when they have to pay the Cardiologist for the testing of SAS or a board certified Opthalmologist to test for PRA.

People need to know what breeds are available out there. Not every breed is going to be right for every person. I don't mind the drool. Someone else might deplore it. Do the research, call local rescue groups, talk to your vet and your local humane society. I just lost my 15 year old Lab mix last year. Sorry, getting off my soap box now. Thought I'd show a couple pics of my dogs just hanging out. They're pets first and foremost.

100_1722-1.jpg

100_1799-2.jpg

000_0012.jpg

Bear.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom