Anyone Keep Multiple Roosters Successfully?

Pics
I feel for you. The 16yo is in charge of the flock and has instructions to come here to BYC for help if he can't reach me.
Came home early because I'm so stupid sick. The house was a mess. The birds were low on food. The goats were still in the barn. NOT. HAPPY.

And my kids are adults.

Sadly, I haven't read the 10 pages of responses, so I'm probably saying what others have said.

In my personal experience, I have had to separate my roosters. I keep hearing that multiple roosters can be content together, I even aspired to that, but my flock? Nope.

I have 2 main roosters now (bred and hatched on my property). I've had senior and junior roosters (father and son, grandpa and grandson). They seem happy enough in the same flock of 14 to 20 hens (on about 1/4 acre)...UNTIL junior starts feeling his oats and wants to move up. Then they fight, fight, fight. Sparing constantly. Running crazy across the yard, driving me and the ladies nuts.

So I divided my yard into 2 separate runs with 2 separate coops (one for my brown line and one for my blue line now). I have harmony again.

I've seen this scenario played out with 3 generations now.

So on my property...apparently only if they are separated with their own run and flock.

LofMc

I always have two roosters in my flock. The older rooster teaches the youngster how to be a gentleman. I currently have three in with my small flock, but they're all Nankin bantams - very docile and easy-going.

All of my better roosters have gone through an apprenticeship with an older, more experienced flock-master. The few that went solo had issues with overactive libidos and hen bullying.

If you're concerned about adding the younger male in to an established flock, keep him in an adjacent pen where he can watch and learn. You may want to give him a few hens of his own, too, as it's often easier to integrate two mini-flocks than a single bird, Remember that pullets mature more slowly than cockerels (think "middle school boys vs middle school girls,) so you'll want to give your youngster hens that know how things are supposed to work. They'll teach him!

If all else fails, consider a bachelor flock. They're highly entertaining and the eye-candy is well worth the extra effort!

We never hung him upside down method but I did know about doing this with Roosters.

Our cock became the head Rooster and Jr Roo knows how to push his dad around. Also, Rooster know how to stay out of his way. In our situation Jr Roo actually starts it all the time. Rooster has plenty of room to get away from his son. It was a rocky road for us here taming Jr roo enough so I was able to be in the run.

Good article everyone.

Thanks, everyone. This is helpful, even though there are many differing opinions.

I think I'm going to try to rehome my current rooster. If I can rehome him within the next month, I won't end up with 2 males together at all while this little one is still in the brooder.

My older rooster s a good rooster to my hens (except for my top hen, who won't tolerate him). But he really has it in for me. He's not aggressive towards anyone else, so I know I probably didn't raise him well. Lesson learned, I think.

I figure I'll start over with this new cockerel now that I know more.
I've had to catch my rooster multiple times (and make him submit) to make him stop trying to jump up at me feet first in the extension. Now when I walk towards him he goes into the attached run and stays until I'm done with chores.He's not allowed in the extension with me.

I have read lots of bad situations with multiple roosters. I just want to be as close to 100% sure as possible before I decide what to do.

I have an established flock of 8 hens, 3 laying pullets, and 1 rooster, mixed ages (8 months - 3.5 years).

I have two 2-week old chicks (a pullet and a cockerel) in the brooder.

I am expecting an order of 6 female chicks in early May. The final ratio would be 2 males:18 females.

I will have a 10x10 coop ready before the current 2 in the brooder are ready to go outside. I will also have a 1600+ sq ft yard for them. Free ranging is not possible here due to huuuuge predator load.

I would *like* to keep both males, but I know that invites a whole host of potential problems. And I want to do right by all the birds involved.

1) In your folks' experience, is that a big enough area to help alleviate issues?

2) is it even possible for 2 unrelated boys to cohabitate?

3) Would having separate coops help? I am not keen on building another, but I can, or I can try dividing the 10x10.

4) Or should I just rehome one of the males? (Full disclosure: I don't eat my chickens) I realize whoever gets one will probably turn him into soup.

Any advice/input would be hugely appreciated.
There seems to be a magical ratio of hens to roosters that work. I have had multiple roosters for a few years with 24 hens and nary a single episode twixt roosters. I eventually reduced the roosters to two. Then after 3 or 4 of my family members each lost a few birds and asked if i had any to share; i ended up with 18 hens and two roosters with no problems.
However; as soon as i got below 18 it became a battle royale on an hourly basis.

I have read lots of bad situations with multiple roosters. I just want to be as close to 100% sure as possible before I decide what to do.

I have an established flock of 8 hens, 3 laying pullets, and 1 rooster, mixed ages (8 months - 3.5 years).

I have two 2-week old chicks (a pullet and a cockerel) in the brooder.

I am expecting an order of 6 female chicks in early May. The final ratio would be 2 males:18 females.

I will have a 10x10 coop ready before the current 2 in the brooder are ready to go outside. I will also have a 1600+ sq ft yard for them. Free ranging is not possible here due to huuuuge predator load.

I would *like* to keep both males, but I know that invites a whole host of potential problems. And I want to do right by all the birds involved.

1) In your folks' experience, is that a big enough area to help alleviate issues?

2) is it even possible for 2 unrelated boys to cohabitate?

3) Would having separate coops help? I am not keen on building another, but I can, or I can try dividing the 10x10.

4) Or should I just rehome one of the males? (Full disclosure: I don't eat my chickens) I realize whoever gets one will probably turn him into soup.

Any advice/input would be hugely appreciated.
I have 8roosters and 48hens all in 1 coop with no issues they posture at each other every once in a while but nothing comes of it

Back
Top Bottom